Coppercaster - good deal?

I have been looking for a different telecaster lately and I came across an early 90's 52 reissue in copper with a maple neck. It's a consignment piece but in good shape. Can anyone tell me about these? Were they nitro finished? I don't see much info on them. This one caught my attention as it was an unusual color and when I picked it up it was very light, and sounds great (nocaster bridge p/u, original neck p/u). The neck is on the thin side - which for me is a good thing, but I don't know if I can get around the maple neck with vintage frets. If they were a little bigger maybe, but bends are tough. They are asking $999 for it, but I am thinking I'd have to refret it. Are these somewhat rare?

martyncrew

Platinum Supporting Member
IMO, $999 is a good price for a coppercaster '52. I think that these were a nitro color coat over a poly base but am not 100% sure

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Platinum Supporting Member
Price is about right for a clean one. Limited run, cool color. You can usually find someone who's looking for one so recouping expenses shouldn't be an issue.

Would a refret hurt the resale value or help it in your opinion? I'm just wondering because I am not sure I can bond with the maple neck and vintage frets.

Dave Orban

Would a refret hurt the resale value or help it in your opinion? I'm just wondering because I am not sure I can bond with the maple neck and vintage frets.
SOMEbody will be more than happy to buy a refretted (or even a renecked) guitar at a fair price.

Just not the average Joe.

I wouldn't do it to a "brand new" instrument, but on a "used" instrument where you've already got siginificant depreciation, you should not have to take too much of a hit, in the event you decide to sell it.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
That copper color though is great! It sounds like a cool guitar, but I wouldn't get it. I think you like the color more than anything, and don't love the way it plays (frets). I've done this before and it never works out. Change this, change that. Still not perfect? Time to sell another guitar...

Ask yourself if you'd still want it if it were some color that you don't really care about. Could you live with the frets then? Would you still be interested in a refret?

turtlesoup

I have one of these guitars and love it, but if it's not exactly what you're looking for, don't get it. with the 7 1/4 radius, bending will always be a problem up high on the neck. don't know how much a refret will help that.

Dave Orban

I have one of these guitars and love it, but if it's not exactly what you're looking for, don't get it. with the 7 1/4 radius, bending will always be a problem up high on the neck. don't know how much a refret will help that.
Think about it... for that price, he'll have a great guitar body in a color he loves, PLUS all the innards and electronics. For another $200 or so, he can pick up an Allparts neck that suits him better. Then, IF he decides to part with it later, throw the original neck back on, and BANG, he's out of it relatively painlessly... AND, he can sell the replacement neck for close what he has into it. That's a win-win, to me. ;)

That copper color though is great! It sounds like a cool guitar, but I wouldn't get it. I think you like the color more than anything, and don't love the way it plays (frets). I've done this before and it never works out. Change this, change that. Still not perfect? Time to sell another guitar...

Ask yourself if you'd still want it if it were some color that you don't really care about. Could you live with the frets then? Would you still be interested in a refret?
Yeah, the color is nice, but the tone and weight of it is what got me thinking about it, not the color. I don't see to many light weight, great sounding teles up here (Maine) as it is. A lot of the off the shelf Fenders are ok but usually lacking somewhere. If it had bigger frets I think I could deal with the radius and maple neck, as all 4 of my current Fenders have the vintage radius. I'll probably hold off for now.

Csapo

Double Platinum Member
Thought I would help re-ignite the GAS...

(6 saddle bridge has since been swapped out for a 3 barrel brass)

markom89

Get it and put a P90 in the neck!
...also, upgrade hardware to Glendale and put in GVCG/Lollar pickups.
Oh my.

Polynitro

crap Id love to find one of those coppercasters...I wouldn't touch the frets, buy it and I'll trade you my blonde twin reverb for it.

Trending Topics