Copperhead Road...Country or Southern Rock?

Knucklehead71

from the man himself….

Earle himself calls it the world's first blend of heavy metal and bluegrass, and the January 26, 1989 review of the album by Rolling Stonesuggested that the style be called "power twang".

Remember that at the time Steve was partying with Guns ‘n Roses and living hard.

I was just about to post that I would call it heavy bluegrass.

Either way, it's a great song and I never get tired of it.

Drew816

Chupacabra Psychiatrist and Meme Thief
Silver Supporting Member
Southern Country Rock I believe.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I was just about to post that I would call it heavy bluegrass.

Either way, it's a great song and I never get tired of it.

I like that description - heavy bluegrass.

Because of the rock beat and rock vocal delivery. The general feel of the song is not country. Take out the banjo and I could hear Bruce Springsteen singing it.

I agree - it's more of a rock song than much of the early Eagles material, which while they call it "California Country Rock" is typically considered "rock" over "country" (think Peaceful Easy Feeling or Lyin' Eyes).

Beater

Know It All !!
Not sure it's either....as mentioned....it's sort of Steve Earle doing his thing.

Saw him play in London way back. It was interesting, the crowd came for Copperhead Road, they were pretty lackluster for most of the show. He then bemoaned having to play Copperhead road and begrudgingly did it, at which point, everyone cheered and then left. Seriously, the place emptied out halfway through his gig. Weird. Although I saw the same happen to Billy Ray Cyrus and Achy Breaky Heart in the same venue! At least he waited till the first encore.
That's too bad really. Since going straight he has always put on a good show. About 10 years ago I took my brother, (2nd row center), who only knew Copperhead Road and he came away loving Steve and picking up a couple of his cd's. The whole crowd was into it and he received a few standing O's

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
What makes it "not country?"
Bro-Country?!? :huh

1642797622632.gif

84superchamp

who's yer
Gold Supporting Member
All I can say is, I was so impressed with the way he sang “big black dodge” that I bought 2 of em.

bobcs71

This first part is country to me

When the full band is in I call it 70s rock

The tiebreaker? The line dance says it has to be Country.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom