Copping Ty Tabor's tone.... with some help....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rgsss14, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

That elusive pre-Dogman tone.... there is none like it.

This gets me pretty close...... now if I could only convince the band that we need to play some King's X!

The combination of the Zion and the Lab 5 is a little brighter than that of tones found on say, "Pleiades", "Lost in Germany", and "Mission", but with a little EQ tweaking........

[​IMG]

Supercubziggy likes this.
  2. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I love that guitar.

3. The Kid

The Kid Member

I met Ty and Doug through a mutual friend once when they played my town a few years back. I ended up having Sushi with them, ...although I think Doug ate all vegetarian stuff...

Anyway, I knew who they were from seeing a video or on MTV back in the day, but wasn't really familiar with their music. (I'm more Jazz/R&B/Soul oriented)

Needless to say I was blown away with them! Good Lord they're incredible!!! I must say though, as incredible as they are on stage, they are even cooler off stage. Just great guys.

Ty and I talked a lot about gear. I actually have a Lab Series L9. It's the same amp w/ one 15" speaker. He was playing line 6 rack stuff then through (I think) Mesa 4x12's. I asked what kind of guitar he played and he said... (very modestly) um.. a "Ty Tabor..." We had a good laugh about it. How was I supposed to know?

Getting to hang with them before I got a chance to see them absolutely rock a packed room was so cool. To meet people who are so talented is such a blessing. To find out that they're so down to earth and gracious is yet another.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    noley, Supercubziggy, aman74 and 3 others like this.
  4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Those guys are the best.

Ty is using all Egnater stuff now. I saw them in December and he sounded great.

Jeff

5. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

The problem is that you are using 2 parts from 2 different eras: Pre-Dogman, Ty used Fender Strat Elites with the Lab amps. The pickups/electronics in the Elites made up a lot of the tone he was getting. For Dogman he went with the Zion loaded with Barden pickups into Mesa Dual Recs (the absolute best Rectifier tone I've ever heard). IMO the Bardens are too hot and too in-your-face to replicate the pre-Dogman tones.

With that said, you get high marks for owning that guitar. :AOK

6. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Im a big KX fan also. I think i prefer their older material though. The last release was just so-so, and i wasnt to keen on Black like Sunday. I think Dogman was the high water mark for them in the writing dept.
    Killer axe btw....

7. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

By and large, "Black Like Sunday" was full of old songs they had never released. They were newly recorded, but were old songs...I think some of the more cheesy tunes ("Danger Zone" !?!) bear that out pretty well.

That's a cool guitar. I have one of the Yamaha RGX/TT guitars, its pretty nice, VERY small and lightweight.

8. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Your comments are SO on the mark..... I need to get one of those Strat Elites.....

9. Redbell

Redbell Member

I'm a big King's X fan (Out Of The Silent Planet, & Ogre Tones arre probably my faves.)
    I give you major mojo points on that rig, rock on!

10. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Wow, I'm jealous! I've been wanting a Lab Series L5 for ages, ever since I learned that's what Ty used in the early KX albums. Now, you need a Elite Series Strat, and a Dual Rectifier to complete the set.

I've got an old Carvin Valvemaster that does a pretty good job of copping the Gretchen tone when I crank it.

11. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

I saw them sound check on that tour, or maybe it was the one right after it. He was playing a dual rec with a lot of outboard gear. They were playing in a small club in my town (they were so under rated). I remember thinking that his tone sounded great. He had a ton of delay and chorus on it though. I didn't really notice it so much when he solo'd, but when he would play a 'djent' E chord, you could hear it, DJENT..djent..djent..djent.. I changed my lead tone after that, figuring, if it works for him. Since then, I've noticed that just about all of the guys that I love, have that same type of setting: 400ms, 30-40% feedback, at about 20% wet.

12. pass it

pass it Member

thanks for sharing. those ty tabor zions are awesome guitars. more than the sum of their parts. i've had other guitars with bardens and they don't measure up. it's a simple enough design yet there's nothing like them out there. there were only around 40 of made.

i highly recommend adding a mid boost pedal to add gain and girth to the crystal clear tone of the bardens. actually, this what ty did with his zions. i've had great success with the demeter fat control and also like the jersey girl midranger. the jersey girl is nice since you can fine tune which frequency you want boosted. adding a preamp/midboost will bring the zion pretty close to the tone of an elite. one of the reasons ty switched to zion is because they thought of adding the strat elite preamp as a seperate part of the signal chain. this preserved the tone and interaction of the elite electronics while also reducing noise. those elites are not noise free and the bardens are.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  13. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

Even though I am not into copying tones I really like what Ty has brought to the table over the years. He is a great player and very gracious to boot.

That Zion looks like a nice guitar.

14. refin

refin Member

I remember when Ty was kind of secret about what amps he used---he would only say that they were sold by Gibson.
    I saw King's X in Pensacola about 12 years ago,and he had 2 or 3 Lab Series heads with the logos off,and maybe painted (it was dark)---Yamaha cabs,sounded good.

wetordry likes this.
  15. John II

John II Member

My favorite is the self titled album. The production and mix is perfect. Ty is a master of his craft. Dare I say a living legend for what he has brought to the table as far as songwriting, chops, soulfulness and tone.

16. Nergalled

Nergalled Senior Member

He used The Gibsons as a preamp in a rack setting, not the whole amp. Hey BB loves them.

17. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

Ty is just one of those guys that would sound plain magnificent even if he plugged a Strat in a JC120.

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i LOVE that zion, one of the coolest guitars they ever made!

and Ty is a class act.

way back when they were touring for "Gretchen", i tracked them down at the restaraunt they were eating at, and busted in on their dinner...

the guys were very nice to me, and i slipped Ty my fresh new album, my very first record i had done on my own (guitar instrumental stuff)

99 times out of 100 when you do this, it goes into the trash, i learned this later when i worked for the major labels :facepalm

but Ty was NOT that guy.....he actually liked my humble little album, and submitted it to Megaforce, who later contacted me and "solicited" me to send them more material. i still have that letter :)

and the first few King's X records are near and dear to my heart. Christian rock, but the kind i like...the kind with doubt, and fear, and real humanity inside.

one of the best rock trios EVER.

and yes, with the L5, you are one step closer to the tones. strat elite will help too...but that Zion is SO MUCH better of a guitar than the strat elite :stir

Supercubziggy and aman74 like this.
  19. hot lava mike

hot lava mike Member

I have one of Ty's cabs- number 2 of 6 from a tour he did. loaded with Vintage 30's. Sounds great.

20. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Folks, I totally get the infatuation with Ty's tone pre-Dogman, but....

Damnation that album has some amazing high-gain, phat tones! I normally can't stand the Rec/modern high gain chugga-chugga sound. Dogman may be a departure for Ty, but I love the sound of that album. It's fierce as hell and has a similar bombast to Zeppelin's stuff. Talk about Power Trio!

Taken in and of itself, it's my reference for what a killer drop D gain sound could be.

Last edited: May 28, 2009