Copy Kats: Fair or ??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Lovekraft, krafty take on an already popular name.
    MojoDrive, krafty take #1 on an already popular pedal.
    Chupacabra, krafty take #2 on yet another popular pedal.
    Pusher, krafty take #3 on yet the same popular brand.
    They've even capitalized on the look.
    Riding on the coat tails of someone else's success: Priceless!
    Writing your own HC reviews the day after you entered your company in the HC database and praising your product over the above said kopy-ee: Priceless, yet again!

At least get rid of the evidence first: (Wonder how long this link will work...)
    http://www.lovekrafteffects.com/servlet/the-24/landgraff-lovekraft-lovepedal/Detail
    http://www.lovekrafteffects.com/servlet/the-Pusher/Categories

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Lets see here.
    • Mojodrive. A "clone" of a clone of a 30 year old Ibanez pedal.
    • Chupacabra. A clone of a clone of a old Pro Co pedal.
    • Pusher. Every pedalmaker and their dog makes a clean boost and most are basically the same thing.
    • Calling out a specific builder in a thread on the internet. Douche move unless you're going to call out all the "popular" brands you speak of for doing the same thing.

3. jamison162

How's the weather in Kansas, Dorothy?

It's all about the price of oil, don't you get it?
    Come one, come all....it's just an observation. A copy is a copy, but 3....talk about a business model.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

So since Lovekraft is such a terrible company where did Landgraff get the ideas for the LDO, MOD and whatever lame name they came up with for their rip off clean boost? Were they the first to do the swirly paint?

5. lxm

lxm Member

everything seems to borrow from something else(if they admit it or not). i dont see a problems with clones. ask some builders....... they will sing a different tune. :D

6. Dave

Dave Member

Yep. Pedals, guitars, amps; most are based on somebody else's successful design. As a consumer I have to admit, it really doesn't bother me.

7. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

hate the Lovecrapt cat.

Landraff uses the guy who painted Vai's guitars originally,"Arlon Prince" and still does & who,as far as i'm concerned deserves all the credit for that style of paint used in the "guitar world",Keeley used him as well on a few of his boxes way after Landgraff had been.

Lovecraft = ripoff
    Lucibox = ripoff

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Hmmm Landgraff = ripping off ibanez, Pro Co, and ZVex. Dont get all uppity about it. Fancy paint job or no they're clones too. Overpriced ones at that.

9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

10. exodus

exodus Member

clearly we think about this too much within its own context. the pedal world is a micro-cosm of a larger world that does the same thing at larger scales--like it or not.

11. jamison162

I have bought (and sold) a couple of MojoDrives so I guess I should add that Ethan is my Modern Day Robin Hood. Rob the rich and give to the poor.

12. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

i'm :BOUNCE.to you they're clones,IMO they are very far removed form the TS-9,Rat & the desk console Zvex got his boost from.

look like a TS-9 or Rat to you?IMO don't sound like like on either!those pedals can't do half the **** these can.
    [​IMG]

sure as **** looks like a Landgraff to me,i could care less what is inside.
    [​IMG]

13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

:AOK

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Not worth saying. You wouldn't understand anyway.

15. benjammin

benjammin Member

Who cares? Find a sound you like and stick with it. The Retro-Sonic line is all clones of classic pedals, that doesn't mean they don't sound great and the build quality isn't top notch. It's not like there's an amazing amount of hidden or secret information in any of these pedals, it's just a matter of putting your own spin on it and producing it. If you want to be ruled by idealism, go for it, but realize that there are practically no original circuits in the pedal world anyway, it's all in presentation.

16. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Lol...looks like it's the Clone Wars on TGP this week. Well earlier it was the Klon Wars...but anyways.

Personally, I think if you feel offended by certain clones out on the market..then don't buy them. The reality though is that the pedal industry has thrived on cloning since the get go. For example - Octavia was a clone of Roger Mayer's Octavio. That's pretty much the beginning idinit? I don't here people rip on Tycobrah as being a rip...in fact, quite the opposite. Poor Dunlop...everyone and their brother has raped the fuzz face and uni-vibe.

There's a lot of double standards floating around this room. I'm not pointing fingers. Hell, I'm probably guilty as well.

17. jamison162

Nothing's new under the sun. But blantently copying a current, very successful competitors whole lineup down to the look/presentation. I wouldn't be surprised if this was coming out of China, but it's too close to home. I'll take the generic Rx please...right!

18. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

LOL. So true.

19. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Has there been patent infringement?

Many say they're similar products. The Lovekraft in a stealth box is about 1/3 the price of the Landgraff. Easy choice for me - Lovekraft.

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

+1 Can we just put this issue to bed at least for a while?