Cord snake for cords coming out of pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bionic, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bionic

bionic Member

I have a stereo (going into different channels of the same amp) with two cords out and an extension from my pedal board. I pride myself in finishing our set, packing up as quickly as possible so I can sit at the bar and laugh at my fumbling band mates. Is there a heat shrink type of thing that would wrap my two cords and extension so I can get a bit more chortles out of my bandmates?

2. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I tried that, without a proper heat gun and heatshrink it's not as easy as it sounds..By the time I paid for a heat gun, shrink plus cables, I had enough for a Pedalsnake.. buy a pedalsnake and be done with it...
    (just so happens I have one for sale)..:crazy

3. bionic

bionic Member

I have two ELC cables though going to the amp and love the sound and don't want to get a cord that pedalsnake offers. I just really want something to wrap it that is better then uh, gaffer tape.

4. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Hi bionic.

Get some silicone rubber electrical tape. Look for the words "self fusing". This type of tape has no adhesive on it. It sticks only to itself, and fuses together to form a tight and flexible bond. If you ever need to remove it, you just slice it with a razor or box cutter knife, and it falls right off, leaving no residue on your cables.

3M makes several varieties of self-fusing tapes. Mouser carries several of the 3M mastic tapes. Try the 2228 line. You can get a 10 ft. roll of 2" tape from Mouser for $20. Catalog number 517-2228.

5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Am I misunderstanding? What about the pedalsnake? Would save a lot of time

6. danel59

danel59 Member

Monster Cable is offering something like this. You can order it in different widths to accomodate numbers of cables being wrapped and different lengths. It zips up and voila instant snake

7. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

He wants to use his favorite cables, not the ones pedalsnake uses.

DS

8. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Interestingly enough, I did a shoot-out with some guitar cables including the Snake, There are tons of conclusions here and there on this forum. Fulltone, Mogami, Gearge, Lava and even an off the shelf Whirlwind..I require a brighter cable for my blues rig so the George won out but with the Fulltone and the Snake actually sounding the richest..my point is whatever PS is using..It's sonic quality's are very good. Stick to your guns, use your favorite cables and duct them together if you have to :dude

9. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

ty-wraps... 'nuff said

Cheers

Kris

10. dwoovre

dwoovre Member

I've been down that road...they can really tear up your hands if you are not careful, which sort of defeats the aim of "packing up as quickly as possible."

I'm thinking of some expandable sleeving, like this (pdf file):
    http://www.spctechnology.com/prodinfo/specs/TA-416.pdf

They have it available at Newark Electronics, but only in large spools. If it was cheap, that would be ok with me, but at $0.75+ per foot, a 100-foot spool is a bit pricey. Anyone want to split one?

http://www.newark.com/50N495/cable-wire-accessories/product.us0?sku=SPC-TECHNOLOGY-8465-0231-BLK

Matt

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

12. mkg

mkg Member

Alec, do you know how long the RS cable sleeve is? I didn't see a length in the product specs.

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Dunno. I'd guess 10 or 20 ft. There are cheaper places out there to source it than rat shack.

14. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

15. dwoovre

dwoovre Member