Cordovox CL30 Rotary Speaker - Update and Follow-Up Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mabinogeon, Jun 9, 2019.

1. xtian

xtian Member

Swapping the Cordovox speaker with an 8-ohm sounds like the easiest solution to me!

Baxtercat and mabinogeon like this.
  2. pdf64

pdf64 Member

There’s that auto transformer from Weber that matches any 4-8-16 amp to any 4-8-16 load, so cheaper and more versatile than a different impedance speaker.

xtian and mabinogeon like this.
  3. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

I found this online today:

"It's not as simple as combining the Leslie and amp speaker ohms when using the crossover. Capacitor C2 is a low pass filter, cutting off the high frequencies. It acts like a low resistance to bass and a high resistance to the treble frequencies. Capacitor C3 and inductor L1 are high pass filters which provide a high resistance for bass and low resistance to highs. The combination of these filters (one cutting the bass and one cutting the highs) allow just the midrange to pass through to the Leslie speaker. The resistance (ohms) seen by the amp changes with frequency. Because of the crossover, the Leslie speaker provides less of a load on the amp than just a speaker alone. That's why Leslie / Fender Vibratone speakers can be used with just about any Fender tube amp.

Inductor L1 passes most of the power directly back to the amp speaker, minimizing the load presented by the Leslie speaker.
    "

So that's interesting! I'm assuming there's a way to test this, so I will have to look up how to do that.