Corgan: "....paint color actually changes the sound of the guitar."

mikebat

While I don't mind kicking old Billy around for saying such dorky things like that... in the end... that weirdness made the music that millions of people have loved and earned him a decent living.

Tube Tone

The biggest effect on tone is the air in the room and when it’s hot as in this case, the tone is deaf.

Flying fish

He said -“certain paints” not color…. Of course different paint types, thicknesses etc affect the tone… it’s very easy to tell when the guitar is unplugged… and the acoustic sound of an electric guitar affects what the pickups register… if one does not believe that, also does not believe different woods change the tone…

L. I. B.

it matters hit'n [email protected] ' brown note '
83308.jpeg

AlienRendel

Funny, because last time I saw him play (the SP "farewell" show in 2020), he had so much distortion on his guitars that they all sounded the same anyway.

Ummuagama

Doesn’t Adam Jones prefer silverburst guitars for their sound??? Pretty sure I read that. To say that all colors change the tone is probably not correct. But certainly some will and do.
Will a natural guitar sound the same as one with a heavy paint job..???

Sure there are subtle differences, now will the average person hear the difference, probably not. Will a tone snob?? More likely..
But I think of Tone more of an esoteric vague hypothesis, which is highly variable to the individual…

Last edited:
He said -“certain paints” not color…. Of course different paint types, thicknesses etc affect the tone… it’s very easy to tell when the guitar is unplugged… and the acoustic sound of an electric guitar affects what the pickups register… if one does not believe that, also does not believe different woods change the tone…

Doesn’t Adam Jones prefer silverburst guitars for their sound??? Pretty sure I read that. To say that all colors change the tone is probably not correct. But certainly some will and do.
Will a natural guitar sound the same as one with a heavy paint job..???

Sure there are subtle differences, now will the average person hear the difference, probably not. Will a time snob?? Most likely..

Gentlemen, please stop being rational in a thread that was created solely to bash Billy Corgan, forum rules be damned.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Amusing interview...but there's some truth to it.

A few years ago I picked up a plexiglas guitar on ebay to fool with and decided to wire in some color LED's for nothing more than a stage gimmic and people got a kick out of it. It will do 6 different colors and, while I don't think that has anything to do with directly changing the sound, my impression of the sound did change with the color selected which quite surprised me!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom