Cornell 45/50 tones, opinons and sound samples- Know where I can find them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, May 7, 2005.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey,
    I am looking around the net for Samples/opinions/ etc. of the Cornell DC 45/50. Anbody know where I can find them? M.E.

2. michael.e

Hey BB,
    Thanks for the reply. I did do a search here on the board and only came up with a few threads. I shot you an email. M.E.

3. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

4. michael.e

Cocheese,
    Thank you for hooking me up! Sounds like "real" Marshall tones to me! I looked on Tone Central and could not find any of Bill's clips. Ah well. M.E.

5. michael.e

So here is another question.......... I can get a NEW one shipped for $2,500.00
    I am looking at an excellent condition used one for about $425.00 less. Is that reasonable? I look at Roccaforte's at they sell for $2,300.00 to $2,500 new and the generally resell for $1,400 to $1,750.00. Do you think that the resale on the Cornell's are worth the extra coin? I hear so many great things about the Roccafarte's, this has gotten me thinking. M.E.

6. cocheese

I think that the fact that they are made in England and that there are not a whole bunch of them in the States has a lot to do with the price issue. They are really great amps and have the vintage Marshall thing down. I have not heard or played a Roccaforte yet. I've always wanted to but have never been in a position to hear one first hand. I hope to soon, especially the Marc Ford model! :D

7. Shades

Shades Member

8. michael.e

Hey Bill!
    Michael Escamilla here. You sold me that Groove Tubes Dual 75 that belonged to Tim V. so long ago!
    Anyway, hope all is well and thanks for chiming in! I will go listen to the clip now.
    M.E.

9. michael.e

Killer f-ing clip Bill! So what speakers do you think went well with this amp? I dig the tone that you were getting. What was the volume of that clip? I need an amp that would be able to get that type of tone in the "Atrium" at the Catalyst.
    Thanks again,
    M.E.

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Great clips, cocheese and Shades!

Here's some clips I've collected over time of the DC 45/50 (and cocheese, I've added yours to my collection, hope that's ok!):

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/memberpages/tonedaddy/Clips/DC Plexi/

Shades, you'll have to comment if the ones I've got marked as yours are all yours. I have no idea if they are (including the one titled "Rico"), but somehow I've had them in saved in directory since 2003 that way!
    :D

Also, the one marked Mark Bartley is from someone on this forum that did a live recording back in February of a band in the UK that was using the 45/50.

One thing that always stands out to me about the 45/50 is the fatness of the tone (and you can hear it in every single clip).

That JTM45 tone, along with the convenience of 12 watt/JTM45/JMP50 modes tilted everything in its favor. I'm sure I could be happy with a Roccaforte (I've got a Custom 18) or a Germino. But I can't get that flexibility in any other amp.

I can't comment on the resale issue, as it was of no concern when I bought mine, and I haven't seen enough used Cornell's sell to date. When I bought mine, I was looking for a great JTM45 replica, and all Germino offered at the time was the 55 models. The DC 45/50 was the first brand new amp I had bought in over 20 years, and I couldn't be happier. I didn't anticipate ever selling it, and after a couple of years with it I'm quite sure it would be one of the last amps I'd ever part with.

11. Shades

Shades Member

I really like Greenbacks with it (helps keep the volume tame too) This clip was done fairly loud in the 50 watt setting. the 12 watt setting isn't super quiet either but it helps drop things a bit. The Cornell is still my favorite Marshall style amp because it seems to really keep the "Vibe" of the better old marshalls that I've played. It has the right feel. Getting the sound at fairly low volume can be a bit tricky. LOw watt setting with one click off an attenuator helps but for really low stuff, a little pedal help (either just a push or a push with a tiny little bit of dirt) goes a long way (I'll try to find a clip of me playing with the cornell at fender champ level with a pedal.)

Do you still have Timmy's old Dual 75? I'll tell you, I used to get some pretty damn cool stuff out of that just with a Menatone Top boost in a can straight into the power amp.

12. Shades

Shades Member

Those are all mine. The one marked Rico was recorded using the Hawk I built for Rico. The Gilmour one was recorded using my Red T-bird straight in. The Steppin' out one is my Red T-bird and is basically at the level of a fender champ level lots of help from a Kar Krash pedal for dirt. The last one is from the same show but using my "black knight" T-bird at around the level of a Fender Princeton with a bit more amp and a little less help from the Kar Krash pedal. That gig they had us keep turning down until you could hear people talk over the music at standard conversational level.

13. cocheese

Shades,

Yeah! That's the one. That's one of the few clips that I feel really captures the essence of the amp. Most clips, when you compare them to the actual amp, seem too bassy, buzzy, or something. That's one of my favorite clips EVER! Thanks Shades.

Tonedaddy,

Heck, I'm flattered that they're up there. My name in lights... ;) That clip of the British band sounds great! I love the barking Marshall tone and that has it in spades. Nice!!! :D

14. big hair

big hair Member

That clip (I'm Mark) is of a band called Hurricane Party - my band supported them back in January. They play classic rock tunes and they are superb - sure you'll agree that the tones on that track sounds GREAT :)

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Thanks cocheese, Shades and Mark!

I've added notes to Shades' and Mark's directories about the clips for reference. Cocheese, if you have any notes you'd like to add about your clips, I'll be glad to add them, too.

There aren't many clips of the 45/50 around, so these are all great tones. I'll keep adding clips as I find them.

Thanks, guys!

16. cocheese

Let's see...it was a Les Paul Custom with Lollar Imperial humbuckers straight into the 45/50 played through a closed back Germino with Greenback reissues. It was recorded with a 57 into an Mbox with no compression, reverb, etc...

I have some more clips of it if you'd like them. Just let me know and I'll email them to you.