Cornell 45/50 vs. Germino Club 40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Rocket, Oct 21, 2005.

1. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Has anyone compared these two great amps?
    What do you think about the Cornell 45/50 clean sound?
    Thank you very much for your help!

2. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

paging Cocheese..........

4. Roe

Roe Member

the cornell can use el34s, kt66 and possible 6l6/5881s
    the germino can use el34s, kt66, 6v6 and perhaps 6l6/5881s

which tubes you use will color the tone alot.

5. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

The Germino Club 40 absolutey puts the Cornell to SHAME!!! There is NO CONTEST!!

Ok, I'm kidding and have never tried the Cornell, but I do have and love the Club 40. I just wanted to spice your thread up a bit. ;)

6. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thank you for the comment Roe. Do you play one of these amps?
    I own a Germino (a Classic 45) so I alreday know that Germino amps are true gems. I was wondering if the Cornell could be as good and "juicy" as the Germinos.

7. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Hey Third Stone! Thanks for chiming in. Of course your clips of the C40 are a significant reason for my latest G.A.S. attack!
    Do you gig with the Club 40? Is it too loud for small/medium clubs?
    I'm the happy owner of a Classic 45 and I was wondering if there is enough difference between these 2 Germino's to justify a purchase of the C40....

The Classic 45 is an UNBELIEVABLE tone machine, totally JTM-45 style...maybe I would like to add a "JMP/JTM" flavor to my arsenal...that's why I thought about the Club40 or the Cornell 45/50...

8. Roe

Roe Member

then i'd get a club 40 with a ss/tube rectifier switch. Perhaps you should consider getting it with a big (50-60w) trafo.

9. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

That's a good idea, thanks!

10. Roe

Roe Member

actually I don't have any of these amps. But I've done a bit of research on these amps - for instance I've written mails to Chris cornell and greg germino. I'm gonna buy a germino, I'm pretty sure about that. (The cornell seems to be great, but a little expencive.)
    I have not found out if the Cornell is optimized for kt66s or EL34s - does anyone know that?

PS - check out the plexipalace - that's where the marshall experts are.

11. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Dennis Cornell, Chris sings for Audio Slave. Although I think Dennis did sing for Soundgarden though.:D

12. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Hey Rocket,
    I've compared the C45 and C40 a couple of times. Both great amps. My overall impression is that if I could pick only one I'd take the C40, a convenient answer since it's the one I already own. :) Now if money wasn't a problem it would be nice to own both! I'm actually thinking about the Monterey Classic, looks pretty amazing....that's another topic.
    I did gig with the C40 but kept the volume low as it wasn't the most rocking type musical setting. There is a sweet spot that I love volume wise with the C40 that I think would be a hair loud for the smaller clubs, but it is almost identical to your C45 in overall volume levels.
    Someone else you might ask is JKR on the boards here. He owns the C45 and was thinking about the C40 too. Hope he chimes in... Maybe you should consider the LoVo Lead 55. I think it would be a hair more agressive and be different enough tone-wise to justify the purchase.....desicions, desicions.....Good Luck!