Cornell Fuzz Face - NKT NOS Red Dot - Educate me on these

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Asimauve, May 11, 2015.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

So these exist ... supposedly one of the most amazing and genuine sounding Fuzz Faces around, transistors are matched and are NOS to boot, not reissues.

[​IMG]

So how do they match up, anyone here have one ?

2. DryBones

DryBones Member

I have one that sounds really great. I think that the first 150 or so would be the ones made with the old factory stash parts. Hard to find any real info on them but thats what I came up with when I tried to do some research.
    I sold of many expensive fuzz pedals after I got mine.
    Sounds a bit dark but thats just the nature of NKT275s.
    Cant wait till I get the chanse to pair it with a quality Rangemaster.

3. Coda11

Coda11 Member

I think it is a very good recreation of what a good vintage fuzz face should be.
    Denis Cornell used to work at Dallas Arbiter factory when Fuzz Faces were made, he knows his sh*** ! He matches the transistors so the fuzz face sounds good. As you may know, a lot of fuzz faces sounded actually quite terrible because transistors were not always matched and biased properly.
    Germanium NKT275 red dot are also very good because they react really really well to your guitar volume knobs (I already made a fuzzface with these). They also are quite dark sounding, which very nice if you have a bright setup (strat + fender amp for instance)

Although it is a good quality replica, it also has the downsides of a vintage unit:
    - low impedance input (which means no buffered pedal before it)
    - 9V batteries only
    - huge size
    - inverted "in" and "out" inputs/outputs
    - huge price?

4. rocknrob

rocknrob Member

This type of fuzzface can sound killer or like a fart. It all depends on the transistors gain and leakage and how they match. The ones with Cornell in the smile are ok. The grey ones that say dallas arbiter england can be awfull. These were reissued and are not real Dallas arbiters. Dennis cornell really knows fuzzfaces , his First Fuzz pedal is a fuzzface but in a different enclosure.

5. wesv

wesv Member

I've had both the Dallas arbiter one and also the cornell one. From memory, the arbiter one sounded like crap!

Wish I didn't sell the cornell

6. rocknrob

rocknrob Member

Man I can imagine that a good fuzzface sounds killer into your Superbass :JAM

7. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Holy crap thanks for the feedback guys, I just closed in on one on Fleabay, it was between that and a Bonamossa FF among others. Red Dot NKT, exactly like the originals, can't wait to see how it meshes with my pedalboard

8. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

I have one of these Cornell FF with NKT275's too. I can't remember if its red dot or not as its serial #213. I'll have to check later. It does sound pretty damn good though.