Corners for Angled Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Stan Malinowski, May 4, 2016.

1. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

Looking to find corners for the top front of a Fender Combo Cabinet, the Chassis Cut-Out is Angled.

Anyone know of any such beast?

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I can't recall seeing a combo that had corners on the front, where the angled cut is?

zenas likes this.
  3. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

4. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Agree but put some rubber in between (such as a car rubber "carpet") or a dozen layers folded towel.

5. Jeff Gehring

I'm not sure what good a corner on that angled cut would do. Save the cabinet wood & tolex from damage as all the knobs are being scraped of the front of the cab?

6. Stan Malinowski

The truth is that I am considering doing my first Re-Tolexing job! From what I've read/seen corners present the most problems and the use of metal/plastic corner covers would hide a multitude of crappy work!

7. Stan Malinowski

Ahh, the Old "Chicago Screwdriver" Techique!

8. Jeff Gehring

One thing about tolexing and doing the corners: always start with the bottom, rear corners and finish last with the two top front (angled) corners. So hopefully when you get around to them, you've found your groove and can make those corners look the best. I hate doing tolexing, period. If I'm doing a combo BF/SF Fender style cabinet, though, I will always do a one piece wrap all the way around the cab terminating in a butt join instead of using the Fender-correct four piece method. I don't want any part of the tolex-on-tolex overlap joints found in the four piece approach; nothing seems to stick tolex to other tolex effectively in the long term. It might look good when it is first done, but take a look in a year or two, and it is pulling up where the overlap is.

9. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    Those angled corners are one of the reasons I started using figured wood without tolex. Couldn't find a source for the angled protectors and really came to hate the look of them. The other reason is I'm a wood whore.

I'd do as suggested by Jeff. If you are unhappy by the result find some plastic protectors [buy 2X what you need - trust me. The first volunteers may not survive the operation] They can be heated and reshaped easier than the stamped and plated metal ones.

Russ

10. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Use leather, like Mesa.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Duratex or truck bed liner.

12. tresspassor

tresspassor Member

If you are doing it in black tolex, then get yourself a jar of liquid tape to hide the imperfections.
    [​IMG]