Cornford Amp Problem/No Response

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rod, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I traded a guy here a month ago my Two Rock for a Cornford Hellcat head. The amps' never sounded right, to muddy and compressed, and then after changing all the tubes to no avail, decided to pull the reverb 12AX7 tube, and voila, the amp came to life..Punchy, not to compressed, what I expected from Cornford..But I'd really like to use the reverb!!! .Anyway, I've emailed them 3 times, no answer..The guy I got it from isn't a dealer, and could frankly care less what happened after he got "his" Two Rock LTD from me, so a dealer thing is out of the question...Has anyone got any ideas?? Any help would be appreciated...thankx...:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I can't say this for sure... but I thought Paul Cornford and the rest of the crew were at NAMM right now... which means he probably left earlier in the week, especially if there were some Tone Merchants shows (which I'm positive there is) and isn't anywhere near a computer right now, or his mail server over in jolly good England. I'd wait till late next week for a reply, Paul has great customer service... just a little problem of being out of his country right now;) Anyways, thats just my guess on why you haven't recieved an answer yet.

-TJK

3. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

Having just chatted with Paul yesterday, I know for a fact that he is here in SoCal for, I think, another couple of weeks, even. Give him at least that amount of time to get home and get caught up on his emails and I feel sure he'll get back to you. This is a really cool guy who, from what I can tell, does things the right way. And I don't even own a Cornford. Good company, though.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

When I got my MK50H used it sounded muddy and compressed. After I had Matt Wells go through it, and modify it for US mains, it's an excellent amp.

Is your amp still set up for UK mains and you are using a transformer? If so, you might want to think about changing that.

5. Rod

Hi Riverastoasters..The Hellcat is set up for US operation...No transformer needed...Is Matt Wells in the US?? thankx everyone for your help!! :) :) :)

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

its the thread title that i dont like here, at a first glance i thought you had bought a substandard amp from cornford.

7. Rod

Yea I did..It hasn't worked right since day 1, and it was a new amp!!:BOUNCE

8. Rod

Heh rockfella, I see you have a hellcat....what does yours sound like?

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

mine is serial no 0085 and it sounds just awesome , your problems with yours puzzle, ive had nuthin but great success with mine.

10. v-verb

v-verb Member

I could be wrong but don't reverbs typically use a 12AT7? It may make a difference...

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

on the hellcat the preamp tubes are 5 x 12ax7 , I use JJ`s and find em to be superb.

12. v-verb

v-verb Member

Cool - I've found from experience that swapping preamps can make a "helluva" difference, but 12AX7's are what's called for as you've pointed out.

One other thing - Rod have you tried a fresh 12AX7 in there?

Good luck

NIgel

13. Rod

Hi Nigel..Yes I've tried 12AX7's from NOS to JJ's , 12AT7's ect, and it's like the amp doesn't have enough of a pre amp power supply to handle all 5 12AX7's...4 sounds great, 5 sounds mukky and way to compressed...I'll be patient and wait for Cornford to get back home after NAMM:rolleyes:
    Again guys...Thankx for your help!!!

14. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

:Spank give him time..didnt the seller teel you that the amp was "not right" or something..i mean ..

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Agreed.... I've owned a couple different Cornford amps all of which where great at what they were deisgned to do. Top quality all the way and Paul was always very good at communication with me. I'm sure if you give him a little time to get back to business after NAMM he'll address your issues promptly and completely.:AOK