Cornford Carerra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paullacey, Dec 3, 2005.

1. paullacey

paullacey Member

Anyone tried one yet? What's the verdict?

Is it worth trading up from a Harlequin?

2. sage97

sage97 Member

So did you like it better than the Harlequin?

What about those two guys, do you have any idea if they thought it would be a good idea to trade up?

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jason,

The Harlequin always had, what I describe as Dark Chocolate - like overdrive, same characteristics for the Carrera?

Best, Pete.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks, Jason. I think "we" crave that bottom end around the house - not needed so much when you're playing with a bassist.

Cheers, Pete.

5. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I had a harlequin and didn't like it. I couldn'g get enough gain outta the thing for my taste(80s rock, etc) and it was very noisy. I thought that I may have had a lemon or something.

6. RockNote

RockNote Member

The Carrera expands the possibilities of the Harlequin, but when it comes to the ground covered by both, is there a difference? That is, the Carrera set to EL84 without reverb. Often, more options will entail a compromise, such as when adding more pedals to the signal path - what is the case here? Further, in the demo we are not informed what tubes are used. I notice that reverb is off when playing dirty. How does the combination of dirt and reverb go down in the Carrera? Thanks. Anders.

7. RockNote

RockNote Member

Thanks very much for your input on this, Steelbender, both before and after my post. I am particularly pleased to have your views on Cornford as I have been studying your reviews of the Carr amps. You really get to audition a lot of good stuff! Since I am in Europe (Denmark), Cornford is pretty good value, whereas Carr becomes rather pricey. So, after more than a year of amp Internet research - I do it for pleasure as much as anything! - I think I am at long last ready to order a Carrera. When I first started looking at Cornford, I had my heart set on the Hurricane, but thanks to my prolonged research, the Carrera came out in the meantime. The fact that, according to you, the Carrera has more gain than the Harlequin, and that it will work with overdrive and reverb in conjunction, these are two very important things for me. I like a hint of reverb whether playing clean or dirty.

What do you think of the control panel layout? Note that the 8/9 pin valve selector switch is located right next to the master volume. You don't want to hit the valve selector by accident as you dime the amp in feverish excitement. Personally, I would have preferred to see the standby switch there. What do you think?

[​IMG]

8. RiGLEY

RiGLEY Member

How does a Carrera compare to a Laney Lionheart L5T?
    Which one is more useable at low volumes?
    I had a Laney, but didn't like it so much.
    The Carrera looks very tempting, I like the samples that i can find.
    But using it on low volume is very important for me.
    So is the Carrera good on low volume?
    Thanks!