Cornford dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by maximiliano, Sep 1, 2008.

1. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

I intend to buy in next month my first real amp so I want your help. I’m between cornford carrera and
    cornford roadhouse 30w.I'm mainly a bedroom player so Cornford Carrera which is 5-8 watts is more suitable
    for lower volumes but cornford roadhouse comes with El34 tubes and is tighter than carrera so fits better to
    my music style(Hard rock and dirty blues).Does anyone knows if roadhouse can be used as bedroom amp. In which
    combination may I have better results? Roadhouse with attenuator or my guitar straight to carrera. My main
    axe is a Gibson Les Paul Standard with Alnico Pro II pickups. Thanx in advance.

2. DamianL

DamianL Member

I'm all for getting a bigger amp and attenuating.....its just much more satisfying in the long run...

Just think of the times when no-ones around and you can really crank it...makes it all worthwhile! :dude

D

3. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

They are two completley different amps.
    The Carrera can take both an 8 pin and 9 pin power valve and change at the flick of a switch.
    For me the answer would be Carrera hands down.
    6-8 watts will be PLENTY loud for your bedroom and you wont be able to crank that without pissing neighbours off-only downside of course is you will be snookered if you play live.

4. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

Thanx for your posts.Does anyone have experience with roadhouse at bedroom levels.I have seen some videos on youtube it sound amazing.

5. bonetones

bonetones Member

6. JimH

JimH Member

I'd get a carrera. I play a 1 x 6L6 amp live anyway. people use attenuators with 10W amps live. I bet the roadhouse is great though. sound is the key thing, but getting an amp that's too big to turn down usually leads to unsatisfactory results. Would a carrera be enough for a hard rock band? - probably not, blues band? maybe. It's hard to say. If you see that on the horizon the roadhouse might be more suited to you. On the other you spend big money on attenuators and power scaling and stuff to get the best out of it at home. personally I've almost given up on really getting 'my' tone at home - even if the amp's working hard the speakers aren't. maybe a 1W amp with a 5W 1x10" speaker would be the solution - but then my ears wouldn't be working hard enough.

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

Having played the Carrera I thinks it's a beautiful amp, with amazing tone. However, it is very quiet for 8 Watts, and in no way do I ever think it could cope playing with any drummer. Even miked up, it would get swamped I suspect.
    If you are only going to get one amp and it needs to cover bedroom use as well as potentially playing with a band then the key may be to get an amp with a great master volume. I've never seen a Roadhouse, let alone played one so can't comment on how well the MV works. But it is possible for loud amps to sound great at low vols with the right design. Orange's Rockerverb series of amps for example have just killer MV's and sound awesome at bedroom volumes. Obviously these are expensive. maybe you could consider an Orange Rocker combo or their Tiny Terror, which is a great amp for bedroom use, but still has the grunt to just about cope with band use (with the right cab).
    I might seem to be "Orange obsessed", but all it is, is that I have experience of these amps, and know that Orange have got their MV design spot on. Perhaps the Roadhouse has an equally good MV arrangement.
    Also to keep an eye out for is the new Bogner Alchemist (out sometime this month I believe).

8. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

I've read in a review that roadhouse has excellent master volume but I want
    someone to confirm.

9. Page

Page Member

I played a Roadhouse in a shop this week. It sounded weak and thin at low volume. It wasn't until I cranked it a little that it came alive but I guess most amps are like that. The Carrera will get you what you want. I used to own a Cornford Hurricane which sounded good at low volume and cranked. I would try one before you make any decision.

10. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

11. Tweak

Tweak Supporting Member

Get the Hurricane. In my ears, it's the best sounding Cornford, and I've owned four of them. It's 20 watts and has a good reverb and master volume for bedroom stuff; same size as the Carrera, which, by the way, cannot compete with a drummer.

12. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

The Roadhouse models are not made in the UK by Cornford from what I understand - they are outsourced. The Carrera and Hurricane are made by hand in Kent. If that's important to you then I'd go for the Carrera.

I owned a Harlequin for a number of years and liked it very much. In fact, I'd still have it now if my finances had allowed me to keep it.

13. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

Does Hurricane sounds equal good with Carrera at bedroom volums?

14. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

The Carrera is a superb recording amp - I got one of the very first ones and I love it. The cleans are excellent and the OD is very rich with nice harmonics. The reverb is very smooth and you have the benefit of an effects loop if you need it.

You could probably just about gig with it in a small venue if it was fully cranked, but there is nowhere near enough headroom to gig with the clean tones. It's not supposed to be a gigging amp though - it's basically a Harlequin with switchable tubes and a reverb.

The Hurricane is bloody loud in comparison - if you want a bedroom amp, get the Carrera.

15. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

Thanx for info.Have you ever try El34 with Carrera?

16. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

No - I've left it stock with the EL84/6L6. I have a Carol-Ann for EL34 sounds. :)

17. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

i know this is a really old tread but in doing a search on the carrera, i came across it.

i am wondering, for those that have experience with it, how marshall like is the carerra? the wattage and volume flexibility fit my intended home use well but i am really interested in getting vintage marshall overdriven blues (not high ditortion but smooth breakup) tones.

is the carrera good for this or does it have more of its own voice rather than vintage marshall?

thanks!

18. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

bump for any thoughts?

19. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

The gain and master volume controls work well together. Depending on how you have them set you can get all sorts of "Marshally" sounds. Keep in mind Cornford is not spot on Marshall - it has its own sound (albeit very Marshallesque). If you turn the master up and the gain to about 4-6 it should get you pretty close to where you want to be. "4" may be right where you want while "6" will have a bit more gain and sustain.