Cornford Hurricane

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phretbored, Apr 23, 2008.

1. phretbored

phretbored Member

Anybody own one currently or had one in the past?
    Likes and dislikes?

2. phretbored

phretbored Member

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I really liked this amp. It shined with my Les Paul. It is a single channel amp, so that could bother some folks. It felt a bit more alive and forward sounding than the Shiva (2x10- el84) I had at the same time. I traded the amp for a guitar and I wish I would have not done that.

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

I thought it was a great sounding amp when I played it. With reverb and an effects loop, it was well equipped, but the $2300 price tag seemed a bit much for an 18 watter. If that amp was around $1600, I would have taken it home.

5. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Which I think is one of the main reasons Cornford is now releasing their more affordable Roadhouse amp head and combo series.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Probably so. I know building hand built amps is time consuming. Couple that with the exchange rate, and overseas shipping, and the business model is a tough one!

Are the Road House amps going to be PCB, or just built on this side of the pond with more cost effective labor (or both)?

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

The Roadhouse is PCB, but still built by hand at Cornford in the United Kingdom. Pricewise it will be significantly less than their PTP amps. It is a single-channel amp, with effects loop, treble, middle, bass, gain, mastervolume and boost (footswitchable). This is only their second amp with EL-34s since their RK-100.

It received very favorable reviews in the magazine 'Guitarist' (U.K.) where it received the Gold-Award. I'm not sure if the U.S. price is set yet, and that will of course somewhat depend on how the $ is doing on the currency market :).

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Cornford or anyone selling their products. Just a regular guy who happened to be able to pick up the Roadhouse 30 head a couple of weeks ago. And I am very happy with it.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Very cool! Thanks for the info. I will be keeping my eyes open for one of these to check out!

9. phretbored

phretbored Member

Any other former or current Cornford Hurricane owners?

10. Tweak

Tweak Supporting Member

I own an early serial number Hurricane combo with a matching extension cab both loaded with British made Celestions.
    One of the best amps i have owned in 40 years.

11. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I now own Tweak's former Hurricane and its killer! The build quality is awesome so if you can find one used that is the way to go.

I had a Hurricane once, sold it, and after a lot of other amps came back to it. Its easy and quick to dial in good tones and is usable at multiple volume levels.

12. phil guitar

phil guitar Member

whats best a roadhouse 30 or 50