Cornford MK50 Question

LnTH

I've heard lots of clips but they were mostly leads. The amp sounds outstanding for leads.

My question is, does it do chunky mid gain sound? I'm not talking about metal palm mute stuff. I'm asking more open chord ringing stuff.

I heard 2-3 clips on netmusicians and the rhythm parts in those were decent for what they are but not THAT great for my taste. They didn't sound "warm". I like low mids and non earpiercing highs mostly.
No luck on soundclips on tgp either. Anyone have opinions or clips?

Much appreciated.

(I'll be looking for an amp with 3.5k budget in a month and a half. I don't wanna miss anything :))

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I've heard lots of clips but they were mostly leads. The amp sounds outstanding for leads.

My question is, does it do chunky mid gain sound? I'm not talking about metal palm mute stuff. I'm asking more open chord ringing stuff.

I heard 2-3 clips on netmusicians and the rhythm parts in those were decent for what they are but not THAT great for my taste. They didn't sound "warm". I like low mids and non earpiercing highs mostly.
No luck on soundclips on tgp either. Anyone have opinions or clips?

Much appreciated.

(I'll be looking for an amp with 3.5k budget in a month and a half. I don't wanna miss anything :))
Yes, the amp sounds outstanding for high gain leads......one of my all time favorites!
And yes, it does get a great mid gain crunch.

That said........... reading you comment about you not liking ear piercing highs........I don't think this is the amp for you.

Now, personally........I love the high end voicing of the amp.
High gain solos are thick, but cut through the mix like a knife.
But I know a lot of people who feel the amp has a harsh high end voicing.

LnTH

Yes, the amp sounds outstanding for high gain leads......one of my all time favorites!
And yes, it does get a great mid gain crunch.

That said........... reading you comment about you not liking ear piercing highs........I don't think this is the amp for you.

Now, personally........I love the high end voicing of the amp.
High gain solos are thick, but cut through the mix like a knife.
But I know a lot of people who feel the amp has a harsh high end voicing.
Is hellcat pretty much the same way?
I was afraid it would have too much highs. Ultimately I should try to check one out in Tone Merchants or something I guess. But thanks alot for the info man!

mdsmith64

Silver Supporting Member
I have the MK50, Hellcat and Harlequin and I agree that the treble and presence can be harsh sounding at the higher settings on all these amps. If you look at Guthrie Govan's, Rob Balducci and Greg Howe's MK50 settings you will notice they all dial down the treble and presence. I now do the same thing. It took me a little while to get used to this, but now I find myself dialing down the treble and presence on all of my amps (to different degrees of course). You could say the Cornfords helped me retrain my ears. So for me, it was a matter of learning to dial down the high end and spending quality time getting to know the amp. I don't see how you can go wrong with an MK50.

The Cornfords definitely have a distinctive voice and to my ears they really excel in the midrange. Because of their distinctive voice, I can see why some people don't take to them right away. They also don't deliver the kind of face melting distortion of say the Bogner Ecstacy red channel, but they take boost pedals really well and you can send them over the top that way if you choose (and everywhere in between). Of the three I own, I would say that the one I would never consider selling is the MK50. It seems to be the most balanced of the three and sounds truly awesome. Having said this, I love them all and probably won't sell any of them.
Mike.

wyldefan

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned a MK50 for a year now and I also have a MK50II. Great amps! They are very open and smooth. With that said if you play with the EQ you will find a lot of great tones that jump out at you.

Trending Topics