cornford owners chime in

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Jul 4, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

looking at the hurricane and the 50w.....are these good classic rock to hard rock amps>? how good is the clean section and the roll back effect on the vol knob...ive heard the clips but it aint nothing like asking a owner of one......p.s using a lespaul and a strat.

2. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

smooth bass..crystal clear leads...tone...just right..the boost was stupendous..and the loop good...i love single chan amps..and this is cornfords top amp./.this fall ill get both the mk50 and rk100

if funds permit:RoCkIn

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Dweezil Zappa seemed to be enjoying his at the Z plays Z show......I must admit, his tones were really happening in that show.....

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I had a Hurricane, it's a great little 20w smoker. Totally smoked with my LP.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

HellCat??? looks more like it now i went back to the site...

6. Anders

Anders Member

I got a used MK50 in mid february and I´m very pleased with it.
    I wouldn´t say that there is a "clean side" on the amp. At least not if you don´t want to play clean all the time.
    The thing to do is to use, as you all ready know, is to use the volume knob on the guitar.
    That works extremely well on the MK50.

I would say that the MK50 is perfect for "classic rock".
    I use it with either a Engl 1*12 with a V30 (perfect for small gigs) or a 4*12 with Eminence Governors.
    Great tones, a sound that is very "alive".

7. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Hellcat owner here............the best !!

Jimmy

8. tomx56

tomx56 Member

hi jimmy,

i am also a proud hellcat owner.
    did you ever had the chance to hear a mk50 in comparsion to the hellcat?
    i am asking because i am not so in love with the hellcats "upper mid honk".
    i am just curious if the mk50 sounds similar.

thank you very much!

regards
    tom

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I don't own one - but I've played the MK 50 and the Hellcat extensivley in the studio with a live band. For starters, the MK50 sounds NOTHING like the Hellcat, but they are both outstanding amps. The MK50 is the kick-ass British Rock n Roll machine. Think Marshall/Hiwatt with it's own mojo, more flexibility, & dual master volumes. The Hellcat lies in the Fender/Vox world with it's own mojo - super cool for low to med. gain tones.

Cornfords are some of the best amps I've ever played - period. Some day I hope to own a MK50. :D

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

I thought the Hurricane was one of the best 18/20 watters I have ever heard, along with a Reinhardt!

11. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Have the Hurricane and the Hellcat with a 2X12 cab.

Different animals - both are awesome - The Hurricane has the special mojo when cranked - saturated, naturally compressed sound that cleans up nicely when you roll back on the guitar's volume. Does not really do "pristine" clean. Has a "boxy" sound that appeals to me but may not appeal to all.

The Hellcat on the other hand (being a 2 channel amp) - does great clean sounds and has a great, over the top saturated sound (one or two notches above the Hurricane), although the "inbetween" sounds on both channels don't impress me that much - they are good, but nothing special like what I described above, but that's just me.

The combo of of the cat and the hurricane is a great setup.
    You won't be disappointed if you go with Cornford.

12. Neil

Neil Member

I got Chazmania's Hurricane and, although I only have a little time with it, it is fascinating to use. Great tones, a little boxy with a les paul bridge pickup but turning the mid control down a little fixes that. Good single string cleans. Chord cleans are there but mostly they have some edge to them.

Amazingly touch sensitive, stroke it and it is clean, hit it hard and the breakup is just right. Loud but not too loud before it starts sounding great.

Crank the gain and use the middle position or front pickup and it sings.

There is a lot to learn about how to interact with this amp. It isnt a plug and play, single dimensional amp.

JMTC

Regards
    Neil