Cornford RK100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Badbirdie, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Badbirdie

Badbirdie Member

I bought an RK100 about 6 months ago, and now its time for a short review...At first I thought the amp was a little stiff, and hard to play, but now I have learned how the amp reacts, and Im loving it! This is a real players amp, and its incredibly dynamic.

Clean sounds: Nice headroom when gain is backed down, and master is set high. Not fender pristine clean, but more of a warm marshall clean that breaks up if you dig inn hard. Not my favourite sound in this amp, but good nontheless...

Crunch: Wow, great ac/dc crunch all the way to van halen... It can be set to a smooth or grainy crunch depending on your eq settings. Very complex sounding with lots of harmonics and sustain. One thing i love about this amp is the voicing of the midrange, it sounds so thick and defined.

High gain: Huge sound!! This i s where the amp realy does it for me. Thick and complex gain with sustain that lasts for days. Nails the sound on Waves by Guthrie Govan, wich is one of my favourite tones ever. Every thing from hard rock to metall, the amp brings it! Allso it cuts like a knife trough butter in a band setting, without drowning the other instruments. Fits in a mix perfectly.

Will post pics of the rig after bandpractise:)

2. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Only because of that, the amp worths its price ...:dude

3. Badbirdie

Badbirdie Member

You have a hellcat? How would you describe its sound?

4. Badbirdie

Badbirdie Member

Anyone else on here have an RK100? Would love to hear your thoughts on the amp:)

5. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

i owned one years ago..superlative amp..takes well to certain pedals

just owns on stage..my marshall powerbrake worked..well..even with the mv..that way i could get the tubes to cook

6. coxswain

coxswain Member

I'll second that!

Chase

7. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

A Cornford amp is on my short list of must haves!!!:D

8. johnston

johnston Member

cornfords are for stud players.

9. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

I have always had in mind that Cornford preamp are pretty similar in every model.

HellCat has a power block based in EL84s class A/B.
    The result is a high gain voxy machine, very nice to play with. I think Guthrie Govans clips make justice about the timbre of the HellCat.

10. Badbirdie

Badbirdie Member

Love the clips of guthrie on youtube, and his tone on erotic cakes! something special about the mids i cornford amps...chewy:drool Id love to try one of their smaller models would be great for recording

11. pnorman

pnorman Member

I've got a RK100. I connect it to one of following cabs: Cornford RK412 with Celestion V30s, a TAD bluesbreaker style 212 with Weber 100w silverbells, or a Monster amps 112 with Weber 100w cerabic bluedog.

Unfortunately I'm not gigging at the moment, so this amp is way too much for me in terms of power. I've removed a pair of output tubes and also I'm using Weber mass 150 attenuator, but nevertheless I'm forced to use earplugs when rehearsing! But, it'd be fair to say I like to play loud and I can confess that you can get a good working sound with lower volumes as well.

I bought this amp to allow my plexi 50w bass small box amp retire. I wanted to have less compression, and maybe a bit more gain when needed, but most importantly, I wanted to maintain the ease of use - as few knobs as possible. And this amp delivers all this. It really is delivering anything from vintage Marshall to high gain stuff, and it is easy to dial in those sounds within seconds using the scarce control panel layout. I usually dislike foot switches, but the one in RK100 is really useful - it imitates a guitar volume being rolled off i.e. you have the clean versus dirty sound available by the foot control and you plug it in the front panel of the amp! Very simple. For me this FS is very handy as I cut my teeth on strats which volume knob is quite easy to play with, but these days I'm playing a Les Paul as well, making FS really useful.

The amp is built like a brick, and I have always received timely response to any of my inquiries by the designer himself, Mr. Martin Kidd. Too bad that Cornford web site is way past of due date.

12. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

i take you use 8 ohms...cab ..

13. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I owned a Cornford Hurricane and it was the sweetest little amp in the world, absolutely GORGEOUS! sounding.. I've just ordered it's bigger brother the Mk50H! the 20w combo wasn't quite enough.. Can't wait, they're absolutely awesome amps!

14. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The RK is on the very short list of amps I want.

Matt

15. pnorman

pnorman Member

Yeah, RK412 is 16 ohms and the rest 8 ohms....those are ok when you set the impedance selector to half of the cabinet impedance.

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I have serviced many Cornford's, including the one's GG used at TM and they are awesome amps, but the VHT SigX does that same tone better and you don't have to pay the ridiculous exchange and shipping costs. Give it a try. BTW I'm a BIG fan of RK and GG!

17. pnorman

pnorman Member

The pricing of course works this way for those living in US. I've not tested this amp (I believe it is being introduced right now in Hamburg Musikmesse) but heard some clips - nice. However, this makes it no-go for me:

http://www.vhtamp.com/images/frontpanel.jpg

I would be lost with all the bells and whistles available in this amp....:confused: But that's me, an old fart.

EDIT: today, I am experienced:

http://www.richiekotzen.com/scripts/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1990