Cornish LD-1 or LD-2 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rreiser, Apr 12, 2008.

1. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Anyone use an LD-1 or LD-2 on your pedalboard ? Thoughts ? Thanks

2. rreiser

3. rreiser

4. rreiser

5. threeofaperfect

threeofaperfect Member

I just got the Cornish LD-1. It's by far the best sounding buffer I've ever heard. I've tried a BS-2, different version in the GRX4 and the Buffer in the RG-16 and various GCX versions. Imho all of these seriously damage the guitars feel, response and tone.. adding fake high end, questionable bass and a clouded mid range... To me they were unusable..

In contrast, testing the LD-1 into multiple rigs my friend and I felt that running the LD-1 it first in line improved the tone AND feel. It's something you'd actually WANT in line because of the way it sounds! Dead silent too! I'm sold on the Cornish gear now. He's the master :)

As for the LD-1/LD-2 conundrum.. If you like having a tuner on the floor I think it's worth it.. I had no idea what the Cornish buffer would be like so I was hesitant to pony up for the LD-2.. wish I had. now I've got to solve my tuner problem another way :xd

6. rreiser

I was hoping I got some response from an actual user. With the exchange rate it is very pricey but it may be what I'm looking for. Thanks

7. KLB

KLB Member

The buffer in my Cornish G2 is the best sounding I've heard yet. I put it first in line with a Male/Female/Female "Y" plug on the output to feed the tuner and send to the other true bypass effects, which are then followed by a 25K Ernie Ball volume pedal, then a delay.

8. peaky

peaky Member

I bought an LD1 about 2 years ago now and its been on my pedalboard ever since. I use it at the very start of my pedal chain as instructed by the man himself. Comparing the signal through my pedalboard without the LD1 to with the LD1 is like 'night and day'. It just sounds fantastic. I actually like the sound the of the unit better than straight to the amp. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. It seems to even out the volume of all the pedals that follow it and preserves the attack of the guitar. Hard to describe it without actually trying it in person but I hope that helps!

9. rreiser

LD-2 is on the way. Thanks

10. threeofaperfect

threeofaperfect Member

Congratulations, They're expensive but I think this is a pedal you'll always want to keep :D

Mine only took one week to get to me in New Zealand. Please give us an update once you've spent some time with yours :)

11. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

How beneficial is a Cornish line driver on a pedal board such as mine - I already have SS3 & G2 etc

12. msmetts

msmetts Member

I have an LD-2 and it is the best pedal I own. It was everything I was looking for to improve the clarity of my set up which consists of at lease 8-10 pedals. I tried the MXR Custom Audio Pedal at the front of my pedals and it sounded unnaturally high pitched so I put it in the back of the chain and it sounded better and worked ok. But the Cornish LD-2 will blow your mind. It is unbelievably transparent and just makes all your pedals sound better. Like the other person I think I would prefer it between a guitar and amp even if you aren't using any other pedals rather than just plugging straight into the amp. It will make your pickups, no matter what kind sound better and it is really suppossed to make weak vintage pickups sound better according to Cornish.
    It has the capability to be run at 9 or 18 volts. Currently it is on 9 volts because that would take another pedal power 2 output. I plan to get another PP2 to run it in 18v so I can run a few more pedals in line. If you get the new LD-3 it will run at 24v so that should be good for several pedals and quite a bit of cable. I found mine on here for a good deal so I jumped on it.

13. threeofaperfect

threeofaperfect Member

I'm pretty sure those already have the line driver/buffer circuit within them. That's the point of his system - each pedal is buffered so it's like your guitar is connected straight to the amp :)

14. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've had pedalboards and rack rigs with every buffer known to man dating as far back as the late 70's. My current recording board that I've had for the last few years with 4 Cornish pedals on it is by far the best sounding setup I've ever had. My guitars sound and more importantly, feel better through the board than straight into the amps. I've even thrown several Boss and other tone sucking pedals in the chain from time to time and cannot here a sonic difference when A/Bing. Pete is certainly on to something with his circuit design and all his products to me are worth every penny.

15. 10strings

10strings Member

Older post, but still valid. Was thinking about the Ld-1… Why would I want it at the start of my chain and not at the very end?

16. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

As do the P-1 and P-2.
    If you already own them,
    then you already have the buffer built in and he advised me
    not needed also saving me money.
    When I ordered mine I had a LD in the order as well
    and Pete Cornish emailed me back saying
    it's already in the P-1 and the P-2.
    Anyone who uses a separate unit
    for a specific reason please feel free to chime in.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  17. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

could you use one to correct the impedance of a pedal that sits behind one of your cornish pedals...?

I have the LD3 and it is easily the best pedal I own... I have an SS3 due next month and a G2 sometime after that...

but to be honest there are few pedals that I say I could never part with, and if i had to pick one that is on my board right now, it'd probably be the LD3... my Providence delay 80's is a close 2nd... ;)

18. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

OK, that seems to make sense.
    For me the P-1/ 2 would be first in the chain.
    You'll be really pleased with the SS-3 and G-2.
    I'm sure you'll add to your well establsihed and supported Cornish thread coolhand. Your good work is appreciated.:aok

19. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I'm considering getting an ld3 or a Lehle Sunday Driver. Is the ld3 worth the price difference?

This is my board as of last week.

20. MrMoose

MrMoose Supporting Member

How's the Orion/Boonar combo? Been considering that exact combo myself