Cornish P-2 owners...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Sep 24, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

can anyone compare to the G2? Love the G2 tone, but would like a little more gain.

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

here's a gimp clip comparing the cornish lineup.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=341629

it goes clean -> ss-2 -> g-2 -> p-2 -> ng-2.

as for my opinion, the p-2 actually sounds pretty different. it is immediately recognizable as being a big muff-ish tone, while the g-2 is more of a traditional fuzz. the p-2 is much thicker, and as with other big muffs, is not great for chord work. the g-2 is still thick and sweet, but doesn't fuzz out on chords. also, the g-2 is very touch-sensitive and will stay pretty clean if you play lightly. the p-2 doesn't clean up as much with dynamics.

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks Zooooom - have you ever played the P-2 with the tone control all the way down and gain, all the ay up? That's what I used to do w/ my G-2 for more of a thick distortion onte, just wondering if the P-2 can dop the same, or if it is more in the "fuzz" camp.

Thanks for the clip!

4. it's more in the fuzz-field, BUT it depends a lot on your playing style, IMHO. If you stay very clean and accurate it stays very clean and powerful as well.
    Anyway, I agree that it's not suited for playing chords.

5. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

that's the way i used to run my actual big muff, but only because it was so nasal and spitty with the treble control up at all. the p-2 isn't as limited in that respect. i already had the gain up pretty far on that clip - it didn't have a whole lot more gain in its range. the tone knob was around 1:00 or so - had i rolled it off, the tone would lose its edge and just get softer and progressively darker/muddier. i guess that might make it sound a little thicker (since the high end wouldn't be cutting through and dominating the sound), but it was already a pretty huge sound to begin with (much more low end than the g-2).

6. KLB

KLB Member

Lou,
    I owned both for a while. I kept the G2.

I thought the P2 didn't have as sweet a distortion character as the G2. The P2 had more intermodulation distortion and a pronounced scooped EQ character with ultra deep bass, resulting in a thumpy "death metal" attack.

I found that I could put a smiley EQ curve after the G2 and get the same thumpy character, if I wanted that, but with better chord tones than the P2.

The P2 just sounded "rough" compared to the G2. Not for me.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks Ken - that is exactly what I was looking for.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

excellent description!

i actually thought the g-2's sweetness came from it's slight roughness, while the p-2 was smoother sounding. but that's probably just a taste/words issue :)

9. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Lou, I'm on my third G-2, so i obviously like them. I found the P-2 to be pretty useless to me past halfway on the gain knob, as the mids started to take over the overall tone at that point. Below 1/2, it's sorta like the G2 turned way up. Still a very nice pedal, but i think it's in a no man's land between a a funky fuzz type pedal and a sophisticated sounding OD. For more gain, i would just drive the G2 with another, leaner type boost pedal. One thing that did that very well for me was the Cornish Boost pedal (i think you'd like the articulate gain), but i would imagine a less expensive boost would work well also.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks - I'm kinda between an SS2/G2 duplex, or an SS2 + boost pedal, though kinda leabing towards the duplex for the versatility.

11. KLB

KLB Member

If you have Cornish build an SS2/whatever, ask for the optional bass rolloff knob. It will make it more versatile, IMO.

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Will do - thanks.

13. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Had a G2/SS2 w/ Treble roll off. Nice pedal, but i prefer them singly so i can run them in whatever order i choose. I found it hard to get settings that sounded good on their own and combined. I don't like having to fiddle with settings more than i have to.
    I had a Cornish boost at the same time as the duplex, and found that i liked the Boost before the the duplex to pump up whichever of the pedals i had on at the time if i wanted more sustain/gain.

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yea, I tend to like to use boost pedals that way as well, and a while ago priced out an SS2 with his boost built into the front end, but is was almost as much as the duplex and I figure I can use the G2 to some degree to boost the SS2 - I actually do prefer the G2 in front of the SS2 most of the time, though I think Pete will do them in any order you want.

15. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Dont forget the secret setting. SS-2 into P-2 which is probably the fattest tone I've ever heard come out of an amp this side of Billy G:dude

16. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

BTW zoooombiex
    Thanks for selling me that Cornish booster it rocks! And nice clips too:dude

17. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

thanks :) that is a helluva booster - glad you're enjoying it!