1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cornish -- P2 vs. G2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elambo, Feb 4, 2008.

1. elambo

elambo Member

Getting a solid description of the differences between these two pedals is proving to be a challenge. Are they distortion pedals and if so how are the two different? Are they fuzz pedals? Is one more of an extreme version of the other, or are they not even trying for the same effect?

Pete's website has a description, but I've found about half the people who have them describe a G2 as he's described the P2, and vice versa.

And I know that it's not best to buy a pedal based on how it's classified, but these are not easy to demo, so a description (and a few MP3s) is about all you can go on.

2. kakev

kakev Member

I'm very much interested in this as well!

I have sent couple emails to Pete asking how and when his pedals are again available but no avail. When I asked him if he could build me a P1 ja promply send me an email telling sorry but no. This is little frustrating I must tell, I would have expected a little better service. :mad:

3. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Go to soundclick.com and do a search for Lou V (lv on TGP) he has clips of the P2 and G2) you will be able to hear the difference.

psyclist likes this.
  4. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

I own a P1 and a G2. The P1 and P2 are basically improved "ultimate" Big Muffs (P2 thicker in my opinion). The G2 is tamer (however can sustain for days if need be) and technically a fuzz but gives a classic rock kind of sound.

FYI - Pink Floyd Live 8 - Comf Numb and Money, Gilmour was using the G2 instead of his usual muff.

Also if your a Gilmour fan a great point of reference for the G2 is the opening track from On an island

5. jbird327

jbird327 Member

He is probably running about a year wait or so for orders, unless a major player needs some immediate attention and that pushes everything else back. My last order took 11 months. He seems to supply his dealers with orders a few times a year.

6. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

He recently did 10 P1s (he only does them in batches) and accordingt o the Gilmour Gear forum he said this would be the last of the P1s as they were sort of "one" offs. A P2 will cure your Muff needs

7. kakev

kakev Member

He propably has his reasons but why he would not build a pedal someone wants? Perhaps the P1 is so wanted that he would not be able to do anything else, I dunno. Maybe I just have to settle for P2 or SS-3. To be honest I'm don't think it will be worth the money but it's fun to have that kinda rare piece of gear..

8. elambo

elambo Member

This is good to hear. I started the quest by looking for a great classic Muff, but decided to go the full distance with a Cornish.

9. elambo

elambo Member

I saw his page from another Cornish thread but I don't remember seeing both of these pedals up there, just the G2. And the samples I heard were recorded from so far away that it's too hard to judge.

10. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

Resurrecting this thread with the arrival of a P2... I have the SS3, G2, and now the P2. I have found myself using the SS3 with the gain set around 9 running after the G2 and using the G2 to set the level of gain, together they are stunning and I was wondering if having the P2 would be redundant in any way.It doesn't take long playing the P2 to hear that there is no redundancy about it. The P2 produces the most incredible thick, singing, vocal solo tone I have ever played through. I was simply floored by how amazing the sound is. I've watched a lot of the youtube stuff and none of the videos I've seen do it justice, they all seem to sound a little buzzy.

Switching between the G2 and P2 I would say that the G2 is brighter and more of a distortion/fuzz hybrid. The G2 is not as thick as the P2, but works really well with rhythm playing and solo'ing where, like other posts I've read, I think the P2 is more suited for huge sounding solo'ing. Double stops and triads are tremendous.

The P2 is not an unruly fuzz (it can get there on this high gain side) more violin and vocal with a fuzz edge to the notes. After trying them both, I couldn't imagine not having both! Like many others, I am finding the quantity of my pedal collection to be reducing dramatically. Six months ago, I had 15'ish pedals. Today, I have 6 really solid ones that do more than all 15 together.

On another note, one thing I have found, the BJFE pedals and the Cornish interact VERY well. I have a BJFE Model G that is similar (the MG has more complex gain and less sag) to the HBOD that does the most incredible smoothing job on the PC gain and the PC buffer seems to make the BJFE even sweeter. No surprise that two of the best builders on the planet can play well together...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  11. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yeah; the G2 is evidently so heavily modified that it no longer resembles a Big Muff in sound but is more of an amp-like overdrive/distortion (which is something I wouldn't ever have thought could be done with the Big Muff circuit, so kudos to Mr. Cornish for that). Pretty much every component has a different value from the classic Big Muff schematic, including the pots and of course the clipping diodes (and of course it has the Cornish buffers too).

12. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

To me I hear the G2 more like an overdrive than a distortion/fuzz. The P2 sounds great. Just hear Live 8 CN and compare it with Knebworth 90's version. The pickups were different but the basic tone of the both pedals are there so you can more or less have an idea.

Personally, I think the G2 sounds very good, but I preferr the P2 a lot more!

13. guitarpedaladdict

I think that's a fair description. The hybrid fuzz thing I was talking was in reference to the really vocal nature of the drive from the G2 at higher settings. I'm into the smooth non-buzzy kind of Fuzz and the P2 is that and then some. I also find you can coax a touch of that out of the G2 when goosed by the SS3. I really thought the G2 was thick until hearing the P2 which is just crazy lush.

All three of these pedals are amazing to me. Right now I am wondering if the ST2 will do for the SS3 what the SS3 does for the G2 and P2 (I hope that makes sense)...

I also wonder if the TB83 might play really nicely with the P2 - does anyone have experience with that?

14. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

IMHO, G-2 is a warm and fat distortion and P-2 is the most musical muff I've heard.
    In fellow TGPer's Kit Rae site (which is very informative BTW) there's a quote attributed to Pete Cornish, according to which :

"The G-2 was originally created for Lou Reed in the early 90s. Although similar to the generic muff type circuit, I spent some time developing a lower gain circuit and with a new tone circuit. 99% of all distortion effects are some kind of amplifier, with clipping diodes either in shunt mode or as a feedback element. My G-2 is of the latter type using germanium components in addition to the silicon parts used for their consistency."

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_Muff Inspired Pedals and Clones.html

Well, I don't know what kind of magic did he work with that one, but I wouldn't describe the G-2 as anywhere near a muff. He has taken it a long way from the muff circuit and I was literally surprised to read that! Great pedal!
    The P-2 is indeed a more "traditional" muff, but once again with a few tweaks that make it so unique.

For those interested in how the three most popular Cornish dirt pedal compare, here's a clip :

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=606516&content=songinfo&songID=7686359

This (along with lots of other info) was posted at the Cornish thread for anyone interested.

15. BrianK

BrianK Supporting Member

I guessing the st2 will do what your doing now with the ss3 albeit in a different way but i dont have that one....yet, its on order. i already have ss2 g2 p2 and tb83. Currently i have been using tb83 always on with my guitar volume rolled back 20% and using the ss2 or g2 as different drive/crunch solo levels and the p2 for dropping the occasional bomb:phones
    I really like what the tb83 does to my overall tone. it cuts bass , but weirdly in a good way. Tightens things up. I need to roll back the treble on the amp some and it just adds amazing touch sensitive, sparkle, presence and edge to my sound and then have the ss2,g2,p2 to choose from. Amazing!!! I do have the st2 on order and am quite sure it will only enhance everything even more as a tone shaper. Basically the tb83 gets me and edgier clean sound at a lower volume and then some.

16. mac

mac Supporting Member

Nice comparison NYF! Thanks!

17. guitarpedaladdict

Spent several hours over the weekend playing around with the SS3, G2, P2 - stacked, not stacked, different guitars. I found that with Humbuckes, the G2 and SS3 stacked could push a little fuzz'ish quality at higher gain IMO. Of course, it's nothing near the P2, but I do feel it is a little present using my BJFE ALF (now sold) as a comparison. The P2 can be stacked with the SS3 (SS3 on low gain) with positive results with a strat. P2 with humbuckers sounded better on it's own. I know so much of this is subjective, but I do see the SS3 with the G2 being an important pair. The P2 stands on it's own a little better. The SS3 seems to me to be operating in it's zone when the the gain is kept CCW from 1pm. After that, the G2 just does a better job keeping things sounding rich with a little nudge from the SS3 (gain around 9 or 10 max).

Simon had mentioned a while back how he finally had found the drive sounds of all his favorite players from the 60's and 70's, I completely agree. Almost every other drive pedal I've owned (except for BJFE) sounds like a lesser imitation or simulation of the sounds from the Cornish. Obviously the amp is key, but if it's right, the sounds are good enough to justify buying the right amp for your pedals (I know this comment might freak a few people out). I also have a slight preference to the way they work with a strat to the point that I am playing my strat way more than I used to.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011