Cornish SS-3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Luca1979, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

SS-3 owners, how do you like yours?
    Is it a TS-9ish sounding unit, or something different?
    Please share your experience with this pedal.

Thanks!

2. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i don't have much experience with TSers. i have tried a ton of overdrives and nothing has overthrown the SS-3. in almost all regards, the SS-3 pwns every other overdrive i've tried. warmer, better definition, better stacking with fuzzes/other pedals.

it's got a very big, but defined bottom end. tonally it's extremely versitile--from very dark to very bright. gain/distortion levels vary from none--to fairly distorted, but not fuzz or high gain (brewtal) territory.

3. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

It is not similar to the TS. I think the Lovepedal Eternity is closer to a TS. It is not fuzzy, buzzy, or mid scooped. It retains the tone of your guitar and just distorts it mildly. It is almost a soft fuzz like distortion that is mild and not wild.

4. glennc100

glennc100 Member

totally agree. not really comparable at all.

5. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

Thanks guys.
    So it seems to be a "more of what you already have" pedal.
    But when compared to similar purpose pedals like the Tim, or King Of Tone, what are the differences?

6. glennc100

glennc100 Member

From what I understand of the timmy, it is similar to the SS-3. All I can say is that the Cornish G-2/P-2 is much more comparable to the TS or Big Muff than a SS-3.

7. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Member

The SS-3 is one of the great pedals of all time. It goes from low to medium gain crunchy fuzz, though not the fuzz you are probably thinking of. More close to an overdriven amp crunchiness. Very dynamic and responsive. I've found it impossible to get a bad sound out of mine. It is as quiet as a church mouse in velvet slippers. Stacks well with other pedals.

What kind of amp do you use? In my opinion, the SS-3, does not go well with an overdrive amp and sounds best with clean or broadband type amps (AC-30's, Twins, Hiwatts, etc.). It's hard for most people to fork over the cash for something they cannot try out first, but you won't be dissapointed, and if for some crazy reason you are then you won't have any trouble flipping it for something different.