Cornish... what's this all about?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by randy morser, Jan 21, 2006.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

Hi. I am a jazz player who has recently turned to pop music full time. I have a steady job doing that now and am playing catch-up on all this effect stuff. I'm reading about all this beautique stuff and WHAM! Pete cornish reviews blow away everything. He says true-bypass is bad and pros are using his stuff left and right. He is REALLY expensive... Can someone with a thurough education on his gear and american beautique stuff tell me if all this stuff is true? I am so new here.

Missing the days of Super 400 into dry 64 Deluxe,
    Randy

2. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

3. D.G.

D.G. Member

Do a search and on the forum and you'll get more info and opinions than you want :eek: My take is that if you have more than a couple of pedals on your board, they should be true-bypass, with 1 good buffer at the top of the signal chain (or after fuzzes and wahs if you use 'em.) If you have all true by-pass, then you'll have capacitance-based frequency loss. A good buffer and good cables will help to overcome this problem. Remember, not all buffers and not all cables are equal! I like the buffers in the Tech21 stuff, but there are lots of options.

4. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The Cornish stuff is great! I have yet to play anything that he makes that wasn't just fantastic. I've owned the SS-2, G-2, and P-2. The SS-2 is a medium overdrive and the P-2 is the best fuzz you will ever hear. My favorite pedal is the G-2. I think that it is the best distortion/fuzz pedal that I have ever owned. Great distorted tones but you can hear each note in the chord.

I am waiting for the new SS-2/G-2 duplex. I probably won't need anything else. That doesn't mean that I won't buy anything else, but I won't NEED anything else!:)

5. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

You'll find that not everyone agrees with his views on true bypass. He definitely has a lot of major players who use his devices and pedalboards, such as Lou Reed and David Gilmour. And its the fact that those sorts of people use his stuff that allows him to charge the prices he does. He's not depending on selling 10,000 stompboxes a year to make a profit.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Are these original designs? I was always under the impression that he tweaked, rebuilt & rehoused some of the world's most pedestrian pedals into even more pedestrian looking enclosures and then sold them for a small fortune...

7. davebc

davebc Member

I have a Cornish SS2 and it's big, big, big sounding! It is what it is and does what it's supposed to do, SUSTAIN.
    Great piece. Glad I purchased it. Pete's rep speaks for itself.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Member

We can learn and take a lot of info from Cornish on the other hand some of his thinking doesn't apply to someone on a budget. A tube buffer between every effect? I don't think that applies.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The way things work around here:

Something that is a "9/10" in the real world gets a 1/10 here. That becomes the new starting point. The increments of improvement are then decimalized so that a further 10% improvement gets you to a 2/10 and so forth. ;)

Furthermore, most of the 'reviews' continue to be opinions of performance within the context of that person's application and experience. Fair enough, but there is no substitute for trying things yourself.:AOK

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

He makes some of the best stuff imo. Pricey and not for everyone. His boxes have great feel, great tone, and are very quiet.

11. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

How to put this, how to put this............

Have you ever heard Prince play guitar? Methinks it would be of benefit.

Do a search on him and his gear.

That said, I am a "boteek" kind of guy mahself!
    M.E.

And I dun like buffers, at all.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I merged two threads; Randy, in the future post your thread in one section. Thank you!

13. 6120

6120 Member

I don't get the Prince reference, does he use Cornish pedals?

14. randy morser

randy morser Member

will do, scott. sorry 'bout that.

15. randy morser

randy morser Member

thanks for the cornish clips. very helpful. any lentz players use cornish stuff? i'd love to hear that too.

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

No harm, no foul.

17. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

There is a bit of hype to the Cornish stuff. I have a G2, it's a nice pedal for what it does, doesn't clean from the guitar's volume pot as well as most of my other pedals which is a major drawback for my style but maybe not for yours. If you like it, buy it for what it does for you, not what it does for David Gilmore or Brian May. I think they are over priced, but if it's what floats your boat I wouldn't be concerned with the price.

18. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Quite the contrary, if I remember correctly he has a big board with about every Boss pedal ever made on it.

Cheers,

Johan.

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

While they aren't cheap, part of the reason they are so expensive is because of the weak dollar vs the british pound. I paid about $379 for my first SS2 years ago when the rates weren't so bad, at today's rate it is over $500.

20. davebc

davebc Member

If you are seriously considering a Cornish, the next best thing to trying yourself is to visit www.steelbender.com
    Go to "gear resource" Jason Barker does an extremely indepth video review of the Cornish SS2. This particular sement is what won me over. Jason was impressed enough with Cornnish that it ended up winning a permanent spot on his pedal board.
    He really takes it through its paces. I always enjoy Jason's demos and find them very helpful.