Correct Speaker Replacement for Blackface Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hathisisfunnyha, Apr 14, 2008.

1. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I just recently bought a sweet 1966 Deluxe Reverb but the amp currently is blasting through an early 70's replacement Fender Speaker. I was hoping someone had both the type and maybe a source to find a period correct replacement to put it pretty much back to stock

Thanks for any help, appreciate it

2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I can help with the type: more often than not, the stock speaker was the Oxford 12K5, though you'll find the Oxford 12T6, CTS 12-50 or the Jensen C12N in the bfDR, too.

As for sources... Gregg Hopkins might be able to put you on the path:
    http://www.vintage-amp.com/

3. JDJ

JDJ Member

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Most players wouldn't want the stock speaker in their amp unless it was a brown&gold Jensen. Many Fenders with the brown&gold Jensens,it seems, were late '65 to early '67.From '63 to late '65 it would be an Oxford; 63 and 64 with no label at all and later the common blue label. From early '67 to the silverface '68 either a blue label Oxford or the orange and silver label Utah. It seems Leo would bid out the source and whomever gave him the best price would be his supplier until his stock ran low. If you don't have the original don't sweat it. If you simply have to have it, check your tube chart and transformer codes for the dates and find a speaker on ebay that falls into the range of mfg.

5. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I actually had a brown/gold Jensen in my BF PR that I recently sold. I bought the DR as a replacement cause of that stupid sale

6. ampcabinets

ampcabinets Member

I moved the choke over by 1/2 inch and went with a JBL, heavy bast*rd ceramic magnet chrome dome momma. in mine. (1970 minty boy...pic on request).
    I can easily keep up with marshall 50's.
    I also have the matching 2x10 jbl.
    The 12, and 2 matching 2x10's were bought as a matched set. The matching 2x10 cabinet it true fender, but slightly deeper then the DR.
    It even still has the complete matching set of fender tubes (by GE..I think) in it, never changed.

7. doublee

doublee Member

Are the JBL d120f's ceramic? I thought alnico...?

8. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

How easy is it to relocate the choke?