Correct Wattage Amp For 30 watt Cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cyphergears, Mar 1, 2015.

1. cyphergears

cyphergears Member

Hello all, this is my first post!!!

I am currently using a Orange Micro Terror 20 watt (tube/SS hybrid) head through and Avatar 2x12 cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 (60 watt) speaker and a Celestion G12H (30 watt) speaker.

I want to upgrade to an all tube head!
    BUT, I wasn't sure what wattage head I should get for my cab. I'm not to savvy on the who power ratting, speaker efficiency thing. I've heard that you don't want to get an amp that exceeds your speaker wattage, but you don't want get an amp with wattage too low because you can damage the power transistor.

I am currently looking at an Orange OR15 (15 watt) and an Orange Dual Terror (30 watt).

Any thoughts on if these wattages would be okfor my cab?

And on a side note if anyone owns one of these heads, do they take pedals well?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

The cab you have is rated at 60W. (twice the wattage capacity of the lowest-wattage speaker). If you're going to crank the amp it might put out 150% of its nominal wattage rating. Either of the Orange amps you're looking at will be just fine. In fact any amp up to 40 watts will be safe, some 50 watt ones would be too.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What Wayne said. The bit about an amp with too low wattage makes no sense.

4. cyphergears

cyphergears Member

I will definitely be cranking the amp. I play Sabbath style hard rock. So, loud and hard. So if I'm cranking it loud, would 50 watts be pushing it?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

Celestion is fairly conservative in the ratings of their modern speakers, so they can generally withstand a bit more than what they're actually rated for.

6. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

If it were me, I wouldn't use the cab with a 50 watt amp maxed, and especially distorted. I'd stay with 40 watts or less. I'm conservative.