Correcting Neck Pickup Tilt

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by WaitForMe, Aug 5, 2006.

1. WaitForMe

WaitForMe Member

I installed a pair of WCR pickups and the RS Guitarworks 3-way switch hardware into my PRS Custom 22 late last night. There was a myriad of little issues I had to wend my way through, but now all that's left is to solder the wires. Yay!

My concern at this moment, though, is that the Darkburst in the neck is tilted -- the top surface is not parallel to the strings. I don't mean the low-string side is uneven with the high-string side. The screw coil is nearest the neck, and it is noticeably closer to the strings than the slug coil.

I can't find my good ruler offhand, but I can give you an idea of the difference. The slug coil edge is flush with the pickup ring, and the cover (not the heads of the screws) on the screw coil side is higher by just over the thickness of one U.S. quarter.

Hopefully, there's a solution out there. My only guess is the two tabs for the adjustment screws are out of alignment, but I don't believe I would get a pickup from WCR that way. There's probably nothing wrong with it -- I haven't plugged it in yet.

Thanks!

2. Rich

Rich Member

New springs may help.

Or, just shim underneath with a sliver or 2 or foam.

3. Gradinger

Gradinger Member

The micro-tilt adjustment is a band-aid for poor quality control and high manufacturing tolerances. Wood on wood is the way to go.

4. WaitForMe

WaitForMe Member

I didn't find your comment particularly helpful, and I was wondering what you were talking about. Then I noticed the thread titled "is micro-tilt crucial?" above this one. :jo What's the price of tea in China today? :)

5. Gradinger

Gradinger Member

That certainly ended up in the wrong place ...

For the pickup issue, use surgical tubing cut at opposing 30* angles on both ends instead of springs. By rotating the tubing, you can adjust the tilt of the p/u.

6. WaitForMe

WaitForMe Member

Now, that's a creative and helpful suggestion! Thank you!

Tasty, too -- reminds me of pennine pasta.

[​IMG]