Cort guitars ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zrrufas, Jun 14, 2006.

1. zrrufas

zrrufas Member

?? Any comments ? good, bad, any owners ?

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I had a Mat Guitar Murphy and it was the best Under $500 I ever played. In fact I saw one recently for only $350...........Thats a STEAL for that guitar. :RoCkIn

3. yanquii

yanquii Member

Cort seems to be a company that no one really goes out of their way to speak out about, but when you do hear something about them, it is always good.

My friend used to have a Cort Curbow 5-string bass, and that thing was absolutely amazing. I can't speak about their guitars, though.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  4. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

I had one of their low cost acoustics for a couple of days. Why such a short time, you may ask? I put on a new set of strings, and not only did the bridge break (in two places) but the nut split right down the G string slot.

This was before the strings were even tuned to pitch!

Needless to say, it went right back to the store!

I wasn't impressed with the guitar at all, really.. be it tone or playability. Not sure why I bought it, to be honest!:rolleyes:

5. dogfood

dogfood Member

When I started playing guitar Cort had the reputation of doo doo. However, a buddy of mine who played bass played a Cort imitation Steinberger headless and enjoyed it more than his (gasp) Ric. Go figure.

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

I really like the Cort Mirage series. The M600 and semi-hollowbody M800 are nice. Stock Mighty Mite pickups aren't bad either. Nice guitars at a good price.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Just so you guys know Cort and Samick make most (if not all) of the guitars coming out of Korea. So if you guys think an Epiphone or any other name brand guitar (coming out of Korea) is superior you are delusional. I have seen a picture taken from a Samick factory and you wouldn't believe the amount of other peoples guitars they make. If I'm not mistaken Samick is the largest guitar producer in the world, in terms of volume made. The downside of both these brands is the name recognition and resale value, other then this they are great guitars for the money.

Custom50, wilto, Slaphappy and 2 others like this.
  8. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

One of my first electrics (about 15 years ago) was a Cort strat copy with a weird Kahler like tremolo. The guitar itself was actually not bad, solid alder body and nice plain maple neck but the tremolo was impossible to figure out. It had a cam type spring assembly and about 30 adjustment screws. Other then that it wasn't half bad.

Thanks,
    Sam

9. dookie

dookie Member

A guy that had a shop near my parents' house about 8 years back was a Cort dealer... His whole philosophy was that a low cost production guitar through a killer boutique amp was better than a killer boutique guitar through a low cost production amp (Something I tend to agree with)... He was a Samick and Cort dealer as well as a Tone King and Top Hat dealer... Never heard of boutique amps until I entered that shop...

I thought the Cort setnecks I've encountered were decent and a very good value... Nowadays, I'd probably take one over an Epiphone at the same price point... I didn't dig the Cort bolt ons at all... The Samick bolt ons I ran into were no better than the cheapest Squiers... They do list for $50 to $100 cheaper however... I think Squiers ARE actually Samicks if I'm not mistaken...

10. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Wow, Cort. Back in '90 I bought my first electric, a $150 Cort strat. I bought it because it had more pickups. I didn't have any other electric to compare to, but I knew it was pretty crappy. I have a sentimental place for it, but not a physical place. But hey, it was the only thing I could afford and it did it's job.

11. rroodd

rroodd Member

I own a Cort 'Earth' 200GC model acoustic ('Grand Concert' size, smaller body) which i picked up second hand in a pawn shop for $200. After a clean up, and lowering the action a bit, I reckon it is a nice guitar to play. (I also own a couple of high-end Matons). I bought it mainly for a 'keep-in-the-car' guitar (for travelling, campfires, etc) but it's almost a bit too nice to be left just for that. Solid ceder top AND back, laminated sides. Fit and finish is as good as i have seen on some much more expensive guitars. Cheers, Rod

12. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

I have an M-1200 which has a figured maple top, mahogany body and neck, Duncan Jazz neck & JB bridge, master volume, and tone control with a coil-split function. I really like it. A very nice sounding and playing, relatively inexpensive guitar. I wrote the first and still only review of this guitar on Harmony-Central, in case anyone wants to see my more detailed appraisal.

13. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Supporting Member

Hello, I had I Cort DNI 6&12 neck through Doubleneck that had a pretty high build quality back when it was made in the late 70s early 80s. It was really light for a doubleneck, body was made out of senwood which I guess is some type of Japanese ash with maplenecks with walnut runners through the body/necks.active electronics with LOTS of switches [POWER SOUND HB pickups] and brass hardware.it played and sounded great,should have kept it but.............can't have/keep everything.Cort/Jack Westheimer put alot of guitars in the hands of kids that could otherwise not afford one. these were never meant to be "Gibsons" or "Fenders",but it was something to play/learn on until we could get the "REAL" thing. Regards, Gary

14. pattste

pattste Member

Although you are right that Samick makes guitars for many companies, they don't make all (or anywhere near) guitars coming out of Korea. There are four plants in Korea making guitars for Epiphone, only one of them is Samick. Those guitars have a serial number starting with an "S". I have two Epiphone guitars that are made in Korea and neither was made by Samick. My Emperor Regent, for example, was made by Peerless and they are part owned by Aria.

They only Cort guitar that I've played for any length of time was a Cort Larry Coryell archtop. I didn't like it.

15. Brooks

Brooks Member

this my story, too. went to music go round to get a good sounding cheap guitar to leave in the car, or take on vacations. i played all the nice acoustics they had (yamaha, alverez, ovation, takamine) and didn't like any of 'em. i asked the clerk what he thought was the best acoustic in the store, he handed me the cort earth. instantly sounded way better and played better too. and i saved money!​

16. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I've never owned or played one but a few years back when Mem Shannon was here he was playing two of them. They looked nice and sounded good. However when I asked him how he liked them he said "they're free". So I said, but do you like them and again he said "they're free". Not a ringing endorsement (from an endorser). YMMV.

17. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

A cheap Cort Strat copy is what I cut my teeth on years ago.

I can't say whether it was a good guitar or not - playing guitar was hard, and I sucked back then.:rolleyes:

18. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Another Cort Earth fan here. I own the Earth 900 parlor acoustic, solid cedar top, solid mahogany back, and according to ad copy solid mahogany sides (buy I'm not sure about that). Anyway, a really nice acoustic, records very well with a nice midrange tone and a controlled bottom end. Sounds better when recorded than live, which is perfect for my needs. My only complaint is that the action isn't the easiest to play, and I've set it up and tweaked the truss rod on many occasions. But still, a very nice acoustic all things considered. Have owned it for over 3 years and no issues.

19. rjhalsey

rjhalsey Member

Cort has average, good and great guitars just like the other guitar manufactures. You would be surprised at how many other manufacturers guitars are made at the Cort factory. I have had an MGM (loved it) and M-800 (loved it) and several others. None I have hated. Some that I should have kept, but I get bored with them and GAS kicks in and its off to some other guitar. This week I am diggin Michael Kelly's. Awesome bang for the buck.

20. ZX-Matt

ZX-Matt Member

I think before I was a member here, and thus reading all the "Ed Roman" threads, I came across his list of Ghost Built Guitars. I haven't been back to his site in a few years, and I now see by the disclaimer in the middle, the list was ALOT longer at that time. http://www.edromanguitars.com/rant/ghost.htm