Cost effective direct out

Fuzz Pig

My friend and I are starting a band where we want to have all the instruments go straight to the board. What's my best option for a cost effective direct out? I use a lot of effects and like my pedalboard as it is, but I'm not opposed to selling it off and buying a Line6 HD500. Any thoughts?

jb4674

You could always get a DI box and still use all your effects into it. Or, you could get something like the HD500 which would have preamps and go out to the board.

Fuzz Pig

Will a DI box actually sound decent? I'm looking at something with amp simulation like the H&K Red Box or Moen Buffalo Amp Sim/DI.

mrbowow

My friend uses a Sansamp to a pretty standard DI box with 2 outputs, connects 1 to a monitor and the other to the mixer. It sounds VERY good if you are familiar with your soundman and have a decent monitor.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Your pedalboard + Tech 21 Character pedal. If you get lead tones from your own stomps, get a clean Character like the Blonde or Liverpool. Thank me later ;)

jon

78deluxe

Will a DI box actually sound decent? I'm looking at something with amp simulation like the H&K Red Box or Moen Buffalo Amp Sim/DI.
DI box will not sound good.

You would need something with amp simulation, such as the Character Pedals mentioned.

I'm a fan of the PODHD series also. Takes some tweaking, but great tones direct to board are in there, no question.

I have PODHD

and a full boutique board using a Ethos as the "amp" direct to board.

That is to say I have and use both methods depending on the situation. Both are viable options, the PODHD cost me $3700 less though.

Fuzz Pig

Your pedalboard + Tech 21 Character pedal. If you get lead tones from your own stomps, get a clean Character like the Blonde or Liverpool. Thank me later ;)

jon
Perhaps a dumb question, but do the Tech 21 pedals have to be the final pedal if going DI?

ckeathley14

Silver Supporting Member
I have a tech 21 Blonde I use for this application. You dont have to use a Direct Box but it wouldnt hurt either. You can put everything before it or put your delays/verbs after it if you choose. Doesnt mess with the amp/cabinet simulations. I would go for the TEch 21 if you are more of a individual pedal guy. I personally have had better tone/success with the Blonde and Liverpool vs Line 6 POD products.

wenbinbin2010

Try out a Carl Martin Rock Bug. I use one with my pedalboard direct into a PA system and it sounds great. Better than the HD500 I sold months ago.

Bufferz

From thier website:

Always wanted a line out for your guitar amplifier but didn’t want to pay for an expensive mod? The JetDirect is your answer. Put this inconspicuous little “black box” between your head and cabinet and voila! Thanks to Doug Roberts’s emulation circuitry, the XLR line output actually sounds like a mic’d speaker. Eliminate stage mics all together, making the sound-man’s job a little easier or use the line signal as an additional layer for your “wall of sound”.

• Features:

• (1) ¼” Speaker-Level Input – For connecting the speaker output of your amplifier
  • (1) ¼” Speaker Level Output – For connecting to the input of your speaker cabinet
  • (1) XLR Line-Level (Speaker-Emulated) Output – For connecting to a mixing board or recording device
  • Cold-Rolled Steel Chassis – Strength and durability for the gigging pro

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Perhaps a dumb question, but do the Tech 21 pedals have to be the final pedal if going DI?
Not necessarily. In my config, I put the Liverpool AFTER my GT10, which is set up for effects, no amp/cab, then into my FBT FRFR and/or board. Alternatively, I put a British with a bit of drive in the loop of the GT 10, after the usual things like comp, wah, and drive stomps, but before all time based effects (reverb, delay, etc). Depends what I want. I can set it up both ways, but I have to have one or the other Character pedal off, when the other is on. But lots of killer tones with this. You probably don't know me, but I've been through tons of great amps and modelers to arrive at this setup. It's just remarkably good (and affordable!!) - home, band practice, and live.

jon

hading

Echoing others, I run EQ, chorus, delay, trem (then into a DI box) after my Liverpool. Do note that the Characters can provide enough output to make some pedals after them clip if you're not careful. Not a problem if you just keep the level turned down enough or if you have no such pedals.

TheOtherDave

Have to? No. In fact, like a few others here have mentioned, verbs and delays probably "should" come after it. The thing you want to watchout for are distortion pedals coming after your speaker simulator (which in this case is part of the Tech 21 pedals). It won't hurt anything, but it's definitely a not a common or "pretty" sound.

Muse (especial their earlier stuff) uses a straight-off-the-overdrive pedal sound that's blended in with the normal mic'd-up guitar amp sound.

Fuzz Pig

Do you Tech 21 users keep that pedal on full time? I read that the speaker sim is only active when the pedal is engaged.

Heady Jam Fan

I use the H&K for my wet effects and I think it works well. If I were going straight to the PA, I would probably pickup an H&K Blues/Crunch Master.

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
Do you Tech 21 users keep that pedal on full time? I read that the speaker sim is only active when the pedal is engaged.
Yes. It's your amp. When off, you have no amp/preamp. Sending a guitar signal that has not been 'shaped' by a guitar preamp to a board is a recipe for no tone/dynamics.

jon

Fuzz Pig

Ok, always on--that's what I thought. In my dream world there would be a two-channel Character pedal with a Blonde channel and an Oxford channel. I suppose if I really wanted to use both, I could just use the Blonde as my "amp" and the Oxford (with the speaker sim deactivated) as a dirt pedal. So many decisions.

Last edited:

bluesdoc

Gold Supporting Member
In my dream world there would be a two-channel Character pedal with ....
You and a lot of the rest of us! We suspect it's not going to happen. fwiw, I haven't found that driving one Character pedal with another Character pedal works very well. You don't stack real amps...... Just do the double step, or use some other lead stomp, of which there are a nearly infinite number of choices.

jon