COT 50: the blue and the red...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, Feb 12, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

I got my blue-light Cot50 in the mail last week and had a chance to compare it to my well loved red-light lil' china Cot50. I was unceartain how much a change in light color could affect the sound. I can definately say there is a difference. The blue is a bit softer in the attack and has less of a upper mid emphasis than the red. The grit on the blue just seems more spread out through the highs and lows like a mild fuzz. It's a very nice sound, but doesn't have the same pushed mid presence that I'm getting from my old cot50.

I also recently won a Lovepedal one knob Balance fuzz of the 'bay. Another great pedal from the magicboy! This thing can push some serious db's and has a great feel to it. Maybe it's just my ears, but at their lower settings the Cot blue feels closer to the one knob Balance than to the lil' china Cot50 red.

2. Ned

Ned Member

of the three , cotblue, cotlilchina, and balance, which is your fav?

3. fatback

fatback Member

1. lil' china
    2. balance
    3. cot blue

The lil' china cot is still my favorite "secret sauce" before a tube o.d. While having simularities in tone, the single knob balance has more range than the cot-blue and seems to stack better into the lil' china, (less competition for the same frequency space.) The cot-blue would be a keeper if I didn't already have ther other two. As things are it feels a bit redundant in my pedal horde.

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Good post, maybe someone else can compare them as well.

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

I'd be particularly interested in whether anyone feels that the Blue or the Red is more suited to the bridge position of a Telecaster.

I love the concept of the COT50 and wouldn't being able to access a more Marshally rhythm tone every now and then but I must admit the lack of any ability to roll off high-end has always scared me off a bit.

6. Ned

Ned Member

im actually lovin the COTblue with my Gibson LP...i think it really likes humbuckers! i still have my original fab50 but i havent A/B 'ed em next to eachother yet but the blue is def more spread out and has much less treble...i see what your talking about the mild fuzz area...but so far i really love it!

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Realfi, I play a ash/maple strat, which is a bright, bright guitar.. With the amp and pedals set up the way I want them, I find the COT50 to be perfectly eq'd. It just works. I really think you owe it to yourself to try one out :)

But really, I wouldnt change a thing and actually I'm really happy with the fact that it doesn't have any more controls. And I really have a bright setup, my guitar and amp really produce more top end that most people can handle and it's sometimes pretty hard to tame them.. But the COT does nothing but good things to the whole set up. I'll possibly buy an Esquire tomorrow so I can report back how it works with the setup as well..

8. Guitarist

Guitarist Member

Interesting thread...does Sean still build the "lil-china"? I've actually never heard of it...

9. rewog

rewog Member

lil' China is just the paint design on the box.

10. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

and apparently includes a 9VDC input too...

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

That's been my only issue with the COT (had a china & now a blue). Great crunch character, but I can't seem to get comfortable with the brightness.

Greg

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I just got the COT blue from Fatback and I really like it. I also got an Eternity for the Strat tones. I usually have an aversion to lots of brightness but I actually like the character of the brightness from the COT. Sounds killer through my cranked Plexi and Tyler bridge pickup. Sounds very similar to David Grissom's bridge tone. Kind of a cross between a humbucker and a really fat tele. The Eternity sounds great hitting the COT for my strat tones, adds some fat mids. I also ordered a Balance.

The COT reminds me of Eddie Shaver's tone, very rowdy.

13. Coach

Coach Senior Member

what's the construction like on the balance? It looks like really thin sheet metal, is this true?

14. basscracker

basscracker Guest

no,they seem thicker than EH pedals to me.

15. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Hi ToneRanger,

I'll be really interested to hear your COT50/Esquire impressions.

If I remember rightly you were using an overwound Fralin in the bridge of that Ash/Maple strat which would roll off treble and increase the mids and your Telesonic would also be much thicker sounding than my Tele.

Let me know how you go with that Esquire and the COT50, especially if the Fralin in the Esquire is of the more vintage variety.

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Realfi, I'm checking out the Esquire today and I hope it pleases me so I'll get to take her home ;) I'll report back first thing next Sunday when I get to plug it in...

Yep, I use an overwound Fralin (actually I think I'll go down in the windings in the near future), but even before that the balance was really good.. I mean not in the guitar but with the pedal. The COT behaved really well and did not bring anything I didnt like to the table..

The Fralin in the Esquire is super vintage, it's the vintage Fralin replica, and it's even the Broadcaster type so the magnets are flush...

If you want to check out how the COT sounds with the Telesonic plus a bad cat combo, check the song "heart is adrift" out from our myspace

www.myspace.com/daisyband

The lead guitar that starts in the 2:30-3:00 region is the COT set maybe a bit over halfway, this is nearly two years ago, so I can't remember that well.. It continues in the end as well. Man I love that sound. I use the COT for rhythm purposes solely live, but in the studio I also use it as a lead sound.. The song Options on our myspace also features the COT, where teddy boy rips the solo in the end.. it's pure Jimi with his strat, univibe and wah plus the COT maxed out...

I guess the COT is the most versatile pedal I've ever come across. And it's only got one knob!! It can do many many things... If I was going to studio and could only pick one pedal it'd be the COT.. And don't even get me started on how good it works with other pedals.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

18. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

And I think you were pretty maxed out too, heh heh :)

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

+ a 1,5 litres of Pepsi MAX. Arf arf arf!!

20. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

can COT be used as the only rythm OD pedal in a BEDROOM situation in a CLEAN amp (strat>blues junior - i already have a fuzz, zvex FF that is) ?

or is it too loud for home ?