• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

COT50 and why it is the end of rhythm ODs...

radcliff

I've been through alot of ODs, trying to find the one that gives me a clean rhythm sound, the amp on the edge type of tone, because with a 30w amp, its rare you can crank it.

I've been through:
Fulldrive
Timmy
AC Booster
Visual Sound stuff
Tubescreamers

The COT50 is it. I tried a long time to avoid it, I dunno why.

For anyone frustrated with their ODs, and looking to start the search for a killer tone....just buy an Eternity and a COT50 and end the search early....more time to play!

:)

radcliff

I feel like the COT50 is part of the amp, it is my amp cranked, and the volume knob responsiveness is a BIG part of why it feels that way. There are so many shades, and it's meant to have these shades, they are actually dynamic....many pedals lose feel when you turn down.

The AC Booster is a nice pedal, and works for alot of pedal, my problem iwth it is that it's muddy with chords, there isn't alot of definition...and for single notes it sounds like my Zendrive, but the Zendrive sounds a bit better.

So The AC is close, but nearly as natural. I kept the COT50 for an entire 4 hour gig today.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
The COT50 sounds excellent..

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the AC sounds amazingly like a Zendrive ..

I was playing with both of them today, & felt the AC had that Zen coloring but was actually cabable of more transperancy ...

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
Silver Kiss is a whole other type of pedal, that literally lasted 5 minutes once it arrived, sold it 10 minutes later. If your going to compare, they should be similar types.
Been through close to 200 pedals the past few years, Eternity is still my favorite! recently revisisted the COT and have been loving it. I do see how it may not be for everyone, but when you find it's niche' and it works, boy does it work great!

Blues Wail

Silver Kiss is a whole other type of pedal, that literally lasted 5 minutes once it arrived, sold it 10 minutes later. If your going to compare, they should be similar types.
Been through close to 200 pedals the past few years, Eternity is still my favorite! recently revisisted the COT and have been loving it. I do see how it may not be for everyone, but when you find it's niche' and it works, boy does it work great!
:munch:munch:D

radcliff

It has a similar openness to the Timmy, but I can never get the Timmy exactly how I like it, and then when I do, the gain feels like it's being pushed too hard, I can't describe it, but I think the Timmy functions best for me as a clean boost with EQ.

The Fulldrive is an awesome pedal, but I never use the boost or the Comp Cut setting.

I think I'm set with with:
69 Fuzz > COT50 > Eternity > RC Booster > Zendrive

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
radcliff, try his elusive one knob Balance sometime! Not the fuzz 3 knob, but the one knob fat boost one, it rocks, kinda like a fat COT.

derek_32999

It has a similar openness to the Timmy, but I can never get the Timmy exactly how I like it, and then when I do, the gain feels like it's being pushed too hard, I can't describe it, but I think the Timmy functions best for me as a clean boost with EQ.
Have you tried the newer timmy that paul upgraded to make sounds more like a TIM? The sounds you describe IMO sound like my old Timmy. The new ones are MUCH better IMO.

The cot,fab 50,angus,balance indeed are all awesome pedals. Cot50/Eternity is amazing. If Sean made a production model of those that was smaller than the 2 combined and a tad cheaper than buying them both it would sell like hotcakes.

Wooley

OK, I'll bite.
I A/B'd the COT50 and the Silver Kiss for the same spot on my board for 3 days. I felt they were VERY similar in many ways, and covered the same ground that I needed covered, it was just a matter of which one did it better. To me, the answer was clearly the SK. While the COT does clean up slightly better, the overall tone of the SK, to my ears, is untouchable. If my Silver Kiss broke, I would put the COT50 in that spot, without skipping a beat, until my new SK came. Out of my 33 gain pedals I think they are the two non-screamers that are most alike. JMHO.

gitpicker

Gold Supporting Member
I actually have both a Silver Kiss and FAB 50 Angus (same basic pedal as the COT 50 with just a touch more hair) on my board. I use the FAB 50 for lower gain stuff, and the SK for the higher gain tones. They stack really well together when I want to get over the top.

While I would agree with Wooley that these pedals both have similar characteristics (very open, non-compressed, lots of presence), they are dissimilar enough to justify having both on the board at the same time. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the SK gets metioned in a thread about the COT 50.

For me, the SK kicked my Zendrive off the board, and a newly arrived KOT lost in a head to head competition (although both are killer pedals in their own right). But for lower gain, sparkly stuff, nothing so far has come close to touching the FAB 50 (except for the couple of COT 50's I have owned, and perhaps my one-knob Balance).

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sorry guys, truly not trying to flame anything or anyone here, maybe the SK I had was messed up, but in no way does it compare to a Zendrive. I found the SK to VERY shrill and just way to harsh in the highs. The COT does have that hi emphasis, but it is a sweet high.
Opinions very, but if someone stumbles upon this seeking a COT, in no means get the SK hoping it will do what the COT does.

Wooley

I'm sorry guys, truly not trying to flame anything or anyone here, maybe the SK I had was messed up, but in no way does it compare to a Zendrive. I found the SK to VERY shrill and just way to harsh in the highs. The COT does have that hi emphasis, but it is a sweet high.
Opinions very, but if someone stumbles upon this seeking a COT, in no means get the SK hoping it will do what the COT does.
Played them both again today, and I just have to differ with you on that.
And in response to other poster, I do agree that there is room for both on a board, but I go allow a maximum of 3 drive pedals, try to keep it to 2, and I like them to be very different flavors that can still cascade, which is why the COT doesn't get to stay. For others, it may be the perfect combination, and I have read in other posts that they do sound excellent together.

Trending Topics