COT50 Gold vs. COT50

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I've read pro & con about the Gold. Some say they can't get it to sound like or have the "mojo" of the standard COT50. I am interested in the Gold because I'd like to have the tone & volume controls for the obvious reasons.

2. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Doesn't anyone care....:confused:

3. benabloom

benabloom Member

The Gold Sucks. for realz... Get the Cot50 or if you must have a master volume, the Tchula mode of the Les Lius is very very similar to the Cot50 on 11 (and up as you use the second side). I have both and have had the gold .

The Les Lius
    Tchula
    Cot50 red

are all very much the same beast with different tweakability . I use em all interchangably at times and can find my sound with each. Not so with the gold.

-B

4. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I've had both. I love the COT 50. Have had one on my board and used it every time I have played in the last 3 years. I tried a COT gold but didn't like it. It was in the same ballpark but just didn't sound as good. I realized I didn't need the extra controls.

5. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

I like the COT Gold for low gain rhythm sounds. I posted a long review of it awhile back.

6. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I have the COT50 Blue. Just got it. I'm not used to a pedal without tone and vol knobs. I also play at home most of the time, not very loud. I just wish I could get the higher gain setting on this pedal at a lower volume. But I like the tone, feel & dynamics a lot.

So why does the Gold suck so much?

7. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Anyone else who could respond to the "why does the COT Gold suck so much?" question?

8. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I'm on my 4th COT 50. The first 3 were way too LOUD!!!. The one I have now has a far less volume boost. Now, finally I love it. I did try a friends Gold. It doesn't have the same Mojo IMO. Try an older hand wired one.

9. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

How recently did you buy the one you have now? Mine is from last March.

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I call BS on anyone that says the gold sucks....

It just takes a while to dial in because the three controls all interact with each other. The tone stack is bizarre and sounds weird until you realize this. The gold can be dialed in to sound just as good as the regular COT IMHO ( I own both )

I like the COT gold BETTER with my tele especially. Not sure why but it just sounds fantastic with my particular Tele. To be able to tame the volume is very helpful at some gigs as well.....

Check the gold vid on proguitarshop.com sounds great ( it sounds even better with my rig - i use el84 based buddas mainly on the clean channel )

11. Trainwreck

Trainwreck Member

:agree To each its own...I have a two knob cot blue and a cot gold and they both sound great...The gold is just as good in my opinion...

12. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

How is the tone stack bizarre? What's the best way to make it work?

13. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I bought it used maybe six months ago. I've never heard a COT 50 near this volume. One of mine I thought the speaker was going to blow it was so loud. This one was my last shot.

14. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

I think of the tone stack as a presence control. It's great for smoothing out the high end on some amps. Generally, I roll off the tone as I turn up the drive.

15. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Any other comments pro or con for the COT50 Gold?

16. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Well, hard to articulate, but the tone control is passive and subtle in general ( i think lovepedal called it a " vintage tone stack " ) - it seems to work differently depending on how loud the volume is and where the gain is. I have the luxury of having both a COT and GOLD as mentioned......so I've had the oppurtunity to A/b them while dialing in to get sounding almost exactly the same.

If you have the oppurtunity to try one I would suggest just turning the knobs until it sounds good to you.

I tend to set the volume on about Noon to 2 O clock - The tone stack anywhere from dialed all the way down to 10 o clock ( adds some harmonic richness and bite at this setting ).....and the gain all the way down to 11 o clock, depending on mood.

It's close to the " favorite setting " that is shown at the end of the proguitarshop.com video where they to a demo of the Cot Gold.

The COT gold cleans up exactly the same as the regular cot with your volume knob.

I think they're both great pedals. In a bedroom with your ear in the grill cloth , will you detect subtle difference, maybe prefering one over the other ? I'm sure.

But in a band/gig situation they both are great sounding pedals. I'm telling ya....

And as I mentioned my main guitar ( a custom shop relic s-1 tele ) sounds BETTER with the gold. Something about the pickups ( 63 custom tele in the bridge, and twisted tele in the neck ) that just sound spectacular with the COT GOLD. They fit together like hand in glove.....maybe I just lucked out, not sure.

17. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Thanks. That was very helpful. Not sure why the Gold gets a bad rap. Anyone else care to join in?