Cot50...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earache33, Jul 21, 2006.

1. earache33

earache33 Member

I play a brian moore through a marshall dsl 401 combo amp, have a timmy on the way and a foxy brown on the board. ive been thinkin about gettin a COT50, sounds like it could be killer, but necessary? anyone? anyone?

2. jbro

jbro Member

I just bought a blue LED version for a couple blues gigs I've been doing lately, and now I don't know how I ever got by without it. I'm using a strat into a Dr Z Mazerati (definately a british flavored amp to begin with).. but the COT pretty much turns it into a Plexi as it's advertised to do. I put the amp in its sweet spot, the COT at about 1:00, turn it on and that's it. That's my rig for these gigs.. guitar, COT, amp. The COT stays on and I use the guitar volume to go from cleanish to an SRV-style overdrive. If I need a heavier drive I though a BB Preamp in front of it. Best blues and rock rig I've ever had, and the COT really brought it to life.

I should point out that, IMO, the COT is NOT a pedal you want to have on your board to kick on once in a while.. there is too much of a volume boost when you turn it on. It's really a set-it-and-forget-it, guitar volume player's pedal. Again, IMO and YMMV...

3. bullet69

bullet69 Member

get one it will be your favorite pedal

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Have a red and have used it with multiple different amps on almost every gig since I've had it (including tonight). Love it! I think you will too.

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Have you tried putting the COT before the BBPre? I have a Balance (similar to COT, more gain) and I use it at it's lowest setting. But I use it first, as it imparts that very classic tone to everything further down the line. The Balance/BBPre combo is excellent.

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I sold mine to Jbro because it didn't agree with my set up...to bright....I am glad Jbro is lovin it though.

7. johan

johan Member

Too bright? I hear the Red is brighter than the Blue

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Yeah, too bright...I got the blue version because it was supposed to be a little darker....just wasn't for me.

9. johan

johan Member

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Blue one and its very bright. Initially I didn't care for it and I'm still experimenting.
    I'm now running it last in line and its much better. Very amp dependant. Dosen't work at all with my Clubman or Lightning as it mushes up and clips something awfull. I find it works best with a clean Fender. Bassman, Deluxe, Princeton etc...
    The jurys still out for me.

11. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I have a very early red COT 50, while it can be a tad bright, it is responive as hell to the tone and volume controls on your guitar. i have had many a great night with this pedal pushin the E! I haven't tried the blue yet, but no
    biggie! i own quite a few lovepedals, they are all gig worthy and great sounding boxes! thanks sean!!

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

big time correctamundo!:BluesBros

13. jbro

jbro Member

I have experimented with the order, and with a few different overdrive pedals. The way I'm using the COT is (as it was intended, I guess) to simulate more power tube breakup than I'm getting with my Dr Z at gig volume. I never turn it off, so it really becomes a big part of my tone character. Sticking an overdrive pedal after the COT seems to mask that character to my ears. With an overdrive pedal first, the COT still has the final say in the tone that goes to my amp, so the character doesn't change as drastically when I kick the overdive on. Sounds more natural to me, like an OD in front of an amp instead of switching amps when you kick the OD on. Just me, and it depends how you use it - experiment and find what works best for you. Any way you put it the COT is a great box, but not for everyone.

Jazzandmetal - thanks again for selling me the 50, and I have to admit at bedroom volume I was worried the COT was a little too bright and a little too raspy, but on the gig everything changes - it sounds perfect! I've actually been using this on jazz gigs too now, in place of a Fat Boost. When the amp is at volume you can't even tell there is any breakup present on single notes, they just sound bigger with more character. Back off the guitar volume just a hair and chords are clear as a bell. One of my favorite pedals I've owned for a strat and a tube amp.

14. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I've been running my blue LED COT50 after the comp, and before a Timmy, with an RC booster at the end. That's with a 52RI Tele w/ strong pickups and a SF Vibrolux.

I'd always heard that the COT liked being first, I may try it after the Timmy and see how that goes, based on some comments here. Anyone tried that?

But its pretty killer right now, many tonal pallettes available. I sold my Bad Bob booster and GAS has eased, for now....well, except for maybe the vibe unit from Sean has my attention:D

15. jbro

jbro Member

I think you may only want it last in your drive chain if you leave it on all the time like I do. Otherwise it might do best goosing another drive pedal occasionally, like the other guys have mentioned in this thread. Try it both ways!