Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EADGBE, Oct 12, 2006.
Could the coils or magnets be harmed? If so how?
Thank you. That's good to know.
OK EADGBE, I have to ask. Did someone connect their PU to a 9 volt battery? Did it make a neat electro magnet? Let me know if it did because if I ever, and I just might, sh*t can my squier strat, I'll rip out the PUs and give them to my kid for experiments.
I was going to ask WHY would you want to connect a battery to a pickup.
I put a booster in my guitar. And while I was playing it some wires came lose. And the sound coming out of my amp was pure static. I'm not sure what touched what. But the battery became very hot. And I was afraid that maybe I had damaged my pickup in the process.
Probably not. I just stuck a new 9V on a single-coil and left it awhile. No effect. Didn't even warm up.Thats a lot of wire to heat up. Easy enough to find out though. Just stick a cord in the axe, and a meter on the other end of the cord.You don't even have to dis-assemble an axe to check it out.
If the wirer was short, coupla inches or so, it WILL fry instantly. But a pickup has a lotta more wire than that in it to absorb the heat.
But wouldn't it affect the magnets somehow?
I mean, the DC 9V applied to a coil create a magnetic field which has a specific orientation depending on the polarity of the voltage (rule of thumb).
Now, in every pickup the magnets have either a "north" or "south" top polarity.
If the 9V were connected in a way that the created magnetic field is opposing to the pickup magnet's polarity, wouldn't that degauss them in some manner? ...or in the opposite case, enhance their magnetic "charge"?
So the main question is, can 9 Volts do that? I assume not, or at least not if applied for a short period of time.
What do you think about that, Jim?
old Tele man- You know a lot of stuff man .Thanks!!
that's exactly what i implied Old Tele Man! :AOK