Could I mod / adjust my guitar's volume knob range?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by UrbanHymns, Apr 15, 2016.

1. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

I like to use my guitar's volume knob for swells. This is easy on my Telecaster with my pinky finger, as the sweep / range is ideal for smooth swells. But it's much harder to do swells on my Duesenberg Fullerton, as the volume knob has a wider range. So the same pinky finger movement only gets me to, say, 75% volume on my Doozy.

Could I somehow "mod" my Doozy so that the volume knob has less of a range?

NamaEnsou likes this.
  2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

You could try a linear taper. Maybe a reverse one.

3. mr_william

mr_william Member

so when it's on 10, it only gives 75% of its volume?

i'll bet its possible with a resistor; id be tempted to use a trim pot in line...... possibly worth having it switchable with a pull pot...

4. icr

icr Member

Your situation would be explained if you had an Audio taper on the Telecaster and a Linear taper on the Fullerton. Is this the case? Let us know.

sliberty likes this.
  5. old goat

old goat Member

I've had 3 different volume pots in my tele--all audio taper--a stock Alpha which had a good taper for me that I changed when I changed pickups, a CTS that tapered too fast--that one might work for you--and an RS which works like the Alpha. Not all audio taper pots are the same.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

You can solder a resistor in series with one of the pot's terminals to reduce the range, although the pot would then never be full on or full off ever (depending on which side you add the resistance).

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

no need for that, just solder the resistor in parallel with the two hot lugs of the pot. that'll flatten out the sweep (less kick at "10") without changing how it sounds at either end.

8. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Yes, just solder a resistor across lugs 1 and 2 of your Vol Pot. Start with a resistor that is approx half the value as the Vol Pot. Ex - 250k pot try a 130k resistor. 500k try a 250k resistor. But feel free to experiment.

9. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

To make my volume controls work better for me I use small diameter rubber knobs, which allow a lot wider range of sweep than ones of a larger diameter.

10. sliberty

sliberty Member

^^^^^^
    This

I bet if you replace the vol pot in the Dues with a 500k audio pot, you'll have what you want. But to be sure, see what you have currently in there. If it's linear, make the change.

11. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

If you are going to be messing with values. Solder on some wires and bring them out of the guitar. It's much easier to tack on resistors that way and you won't be constantly probing in the cavity!!!

12. UrbanHymns

No, I meant to say that 0 to 100 on the Tele required the knob to turn only half way around. Where as on the Doozy, 0 to 100 requires turning the volume knob more, almost all the way around.

13. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

What happened the second half? Not much, I'll bet. That'd the difference in audio taper vs. linear taper. Keep in mind the volume pot doesn't add anything, it takes it away. So at 0 you have maximum resistance, and at 10 you have no resistance. Not all pots, however give you a straight line. In other words, you won't have 50% at 5, you may have 90% at 5.
    I'm not explaining this very well, sorry.

14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

You could always get a volume pedal

Custom50 likes this.
  15. UrbanHymns

I totally know what you mean. My Doozy's volume knob goes to about 50% volume really quickly. So that must mean my Doozy has an audio taper? Again, turning the knob from all the way off, I get a good jump in volume pretty quickly. Much more so than in my Tele.

16. UrbanHymns

I have one. I'm trying to get rid of it because it takes up so much space. And I don't always want to have to be at my board.

17. sliberty

sliberty Member

18. adauria

adauria Member