1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Could I run 6v6's in a Bandmaster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimH, Jun 9, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

I'm wondering if I could run 6v6's in my '71 BMR to bring the headroom down a bit and add some mids? Also, what rectifier should I run for lowest headroom?

2. sliberty

sliberty Member

The voltages in your BMR might be too high for most 6V6's. They could self destruct in a very short time. I certainly wouldn't risk any vintage 6V6 tubes. Some recent JJ's might survive.

3. telemoxy

telemoxy Member

Apparently you can. Check the London Power web-site there is an article about putting 6V6s in a Fender Twin.

http://www.londonpower.com/faq.htm

4. ToneSter

ToneSter Silver Supporting Member

30 miles s/w to the exact center of California
    take it to a tech if you do not know what you are doing, amp voltages can kill you even if the amp is unplugged, it will need to be re-baised 26-28ma will be fine and if the voltage is in the 400v range you can use a couple JJ's and you we be fine I use JJ's in my Marshall type circuit at about 400v and it works great.

5. telemoxy

telemoxy Member

Just to clarify. Good Advice. I agree. Take it to a tech if you aren't totally familiar with tube amps.

6. kimock

kimock Member

Running that amp with an 8 ohm speaker will knock the output down 30% and lose a little high and low end, bringing the middle forward.
    Might want to try that.

peace.