Could I run 6v6's in a Bandmaster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimH, Jun 9, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

I'm wondering if I could run 6v6's in my '71 BMR to bring the headroom down a bit and add some mids? Also, what rectifier should I run for lowest headroom?

2. sliberty

sliberty Member

The voltages in your BMR might be too high for most 6V6's. They could self destruct in a very short time. I certainly wouldn't risk any vintage 6V6 tubes. Some recent JJ's might survive.

3. telemoxy

telemoxy Member

Apparently you can. Check the London Power web-site there is an article about putting 6V6s in a Fender Twin.

http://www.londonpower.com/faq.htm

4. ToneSter

ToneSter Silver Supporting Member

30 miles s/w to the exact center of California
    take it to a tech if you do not know what you are doing, amp voltages can kill you even if the amp is unplugged, it will need to be re-baised 26-28ma will be fine and if the voltage is in the 400v range you can use a couple JJ's and you we be fine I use JJ's in my Marshall type circuit at about 400v and it works great.

5. telemoxy

telemoxy Member

Just to clarify. Good Advice. I agree. Take it to a tech if you aren't totally familiar with tube amps.

6. kimock

kimock Member

Running that amp with an 8 ohm speaker will knock the output down 30% and lose a little high and low end, bringing the middle forward.
    Might want to try that.

peace.