Could it be a trend? Many guitarists have many been changing to lighter strings

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I discovered and grew to love Gibson Sonomatic 340L* strings circa '78. Still string some guitars with similar gauges. Play acoustic and bass also. Don't like anything less than .010 sets in general.

*Sonomatic 340L at that time were .011,.012,.019w,.028,.044,.056

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, went through my "SRV phase" and was jamming 11's for a bit, way too stiff, been playing 10's forever.

I strung up my son's Les Paul with 9's, felt way too slinky for me.

sergv

I’ve been bending steel with my bare hands and using 10’s for many years, for the tone ... and durability (they don’t break as often) *shrug*. However, I ordered some 9s and will give them a try.

epauley

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve been bending steel with my bare hands and using 10’s for many years, for the tone ... and durability (they don’t break as often) *shrug*. However, I ordered some 9s and will give them a try.
As stated above, I play Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, 9 - 42. With that being said, I play every day but rarely break strings anymore - maybe a single string (G) every few years. I honestly don't know why this is the case. BTW, I bend strings 1+ steps while playing most riffs.

jbviper4

Gold Supporting Member
I just put some light gauge on my 12 string Seagull. This is a temporary thing for me. I've been playing it fairly exclusively and my fingers started to swell a bit so I figured I'd try lighter. I like the volume and bass resonance of the heavier strings.

Hamer95USA

I have De Quervain's tenosynovitis (tendonitis of the thumb) due to using .010-.046 heavy gauge strings since I was a teenager. I switched over to .009 -.042 light gauge strings over 10 years ago which has alleviated my thumb issues and I can play better & longer now.

Guitar George

jimijimmyjeffy

Guitar construction has improved to allow for low and light action?

My strat has the crappy vintage construction, which means I use heavy strings and high action. Oh well. Guess I'll never play like Pete Thorn. But I can pluck the crap out of a note and make it sound angry at least.

proxy

Silver Supporting Member
Used to do 9s. Recently going the other way, playing 11s. Inspired by Josh Smith. Not quite up to 13s yet but hope to get there.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I play using 10-46 or 10-52 for the lower tuned stuff. I like the feel the most with this gauge. I don‘t think the sound changes enough to matter as it all sounds like I sound anyhow.

OJT1212

I don't get lighter strings. For me they are harder to play on and they don't have the bite I like. 11-52 is about my sweet spot.

GT3

I think it really comes down to bending and hand strength. If we don't need to bend, probably just about all of us could use 10s, and many could go even higher. I generally find that 10s sound better and work better with the right hand. With bending, I'm limited to 10s and 9s are better. I wish I had stronger hands, but I'm in my mid 50s and it probably is what it is.

JiveJust

I started a sludgy southern metal project a few years back. The tuning is D standard with a dropped low C. I really enjoyed how my 10-46 sounded with heavy distortion. I really liked being able to do crazy bends on the high strings. I ordered some sets with 52 on the low string to tighten it up.

So for my guitars that I’m going to play with heavy distortion I’m using essentially super light strings. I guess the feeling is like playing 8s?

For all my 440 guitars where I’m just using overdrive I have 10-46 but I’m thinking about dropping down to 9-42 to see if I can do some pedal steel type bends.

On my acoustics and arch-tops For jazz and flat top stuff I’m sticking with 12s or 13s depending on the scale length.

Crowonawire

10s on everything.
I am playing nylon strings a lot more now including amplified. So now I’m going though the string search thing with them.
it’s never ending. Ha.

roachone

If 9's are to big for you maybe you should take up playing the harp.;) Same thing I told Billy when he started in on me about it the last time.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, the Reverend Billy G. Uses .008's on pretty much all of his guitars. Said in a interview a lot of players say you get more sound with heavier strings. He then said if he needed more sound, just turn the amp up a bit. It works pretty good, but to each their own.

Last night I got silly with my tele that has .008s on it. Tuned the whole guitar to D, and since it has noiseless DiMarzio Area T's, plugged in my Hot British, through a 15" JBL with the low end up a bit more than usual, and played some super brutal metal that I sort of gave up on years ago. But, my Kung Fu is still fairly sharp. It's fun! I spent years learning how to do that stuff. By the time I got fairly good at it, it was no longer cool, so...

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Did the heavy string thing way back, 11s on a strat have their merits, but don't always sit well with other guitars and tire out my fingers. Went to 9s around 20 years ago. I do miss being able to beat the living **** out of the guitar and still have it sound like music.

Once I get another guitar or two up and running I want a barbed wire strat again just for kicks.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
9's on the Strat.

10's on the Paul.

I never bought into the SRV high-tension-wire stuff. As
Eddie said: "Why make it hard?"
Stevie was coked up (and drunk) and feelin’ no pain during a lot of his heavy string wailing years. And I may be mistaken, but I think I remember he started having some hand issues in his last couple years and went down a gauge or two himself. He also tuned down to E flat.

I dunno .. Made a few changes over 40 yrs .. Im good now .. If i acquire new guitars, i will try a few sets then decide .. I like 10s on LPs .. With HEAVY bottoms .. Got 11s on my Legacy .. 50 bottom .. Just strung my S500 with GHS Progressives 10/46 .. 1st go-round ..

Trending Topics