• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Could my wireless beltpack (Audio-Technica M2) be killing my IEMs?

Badside

Been using an Audio-Technica M2 wireless IEM system for 5 years now. And I've been really "unlucky" recently. Went through 4 pairs of earphones that all died within a few weeks. This was my first time using Fender IEMs, and figured I'd just go back to Shure. But now... driving home with my new SE315s, I started thinking... what if my belt pack is the problem?

To be clear, the failed pairs also didn't work on other devices, but they'd always fail while using them with my M2 (usually the left side would start cutting out until it was completely dead). Bandmates have had some issues with Fender IEMs too, but not as bad as I.

I don't run them particularly loud, limiter is always on. But there is one thing: when I plug my earphones in, even if the belt pack is turned off, I will always get a nasty noise through the earpieces. So probably some kind of static electricity build-up, and the Fenders couldn't handle it (didn't have problems with my initial pair of Shure SE215s, and the Westone UM20s I upgraded to lasted over 3 years).

So now I'm unsure what to do. Don't want to risk damaging my new SE315s, but also don't want to throw away the M2 kit without being sure it's the culprit. Any test I could do? Any one ever seen anything like this?

Stokely

Definitely sounds suspicious...I have used a number of consumer and IEM earbuds over the years and I can't recall a single pair just up and dying on me--other than for mechanical reasons. Granted I used wired packs so not the same as your setup.

I would be concerned with that loud sound, that doesn't match anything in my (somewhat limited to be sure) experience. If possible, try a different pack to see if it also does it. Unfortunately I don't know how you'd test the pack. You might try contacting Audio-Technica to see if they have any suggestions, or possibly if you can get by without it for a time they could take a look at it. Limiter or not, I'd be first concerned about your hearing, and of course the earbuds too! For all you know the limiter could be the thing that is malfunctioning (assuming it is in the pack). If you are using an external limiter, I'd troubleshoot to make sure that isn't the cause also.

mikeller

No clue on whether or not a faulty beltpack could do that - but I wanted to reply because I have a M2 as well and very oddly have noticed that even turning it all the way off I feel like I still hear something. Mine is an older 600mhz spectrum system and will soon need to be replaced either way

Badside

No clue on whether or not a faulty beltpack could do that - but I wanted to reply because I have a M2 as well and very oddly have noticed that even turning it all the way off I feel like I still hear something. Mine is an older 600mhz spectrum system and will soon need to be replaced either way

Not an issue with mine, perfectly quiet. It's in the 500's though, another reason why I hope I don't have to trash it.

Full disclosure, my beltpack did have multiple meetings with his friend the floor. Maybe just a new beltpack would be enough.

EDIT: A new receiver is 349$... at that point I'd rather just get a complete PSM300 at 699$, never really liked the M2 anyway (got it in a trade)

mikeller

Not an issue with mine, perfectly quiet. It's in the 500's though, another reason why I hope I don't have to trash it.

Full disclosure, my beltpack did have multiple meetings with his friend the floor. Maybe just a new beltpack would be enough.

EDIT: A new receiver is 349$... at that point I'd rather just get a complete PSM300 at 699$, never really liked the M2 anyway (got it in a trade)

That's what I will purchase too. Out of curiosity - why do you not like the M2? I have always gotten questionable performance

Badside

That's what I will purchase too. Out of curiosity - why do you not like the M2? I have always gotten questionable performance

It doesn't have a lot of headroom. With SE215 earphones it was hard to get a clear metronome sound that could clearly be heard above the rest. Also no matter what channel I used I'd regularly get really loud interference noises, and the range was never particularly good.

Probably gonna rent a PSM300 for a little while and see if it's worth doing the upgrade. I just hate the idea of just throwing my M2 away, but I'm not one to sell something that I can't be sure isn't defective.

mikeller

It doesn't have a lot of headroom. With SE215 earphones it was hard to get a clear metronome sound that could clearly be heard above the rest. Also no matter what channel I used I'd regularly get really loud interference noises, and the range was never particularly good.

Probably gonna rent a PSM300 for a little while and see if it's worth doing the upgrade. I just hate the idea of just throwing my M2 away, but I'm not one to sell something that I can't be sure isn't defective.

Yeah, interference, mine makes a (for lack of better description) jjjjjjuuuuuppppp-pop noise, then drop. And definately distorts easy. My band uses the same sound engineer every show - he has a dedicated IEM rack and we can control our own mixes via iOS device, and it is saved so our sound checks barely last 1/2 song. I use Westone dual driver ear monitors (no custom molds).

I believe the 600 stuff will be illegal to use in the next couple years, and, depending on the geographical area, could be a problem at any time. If you buy a PSM-300 before 10/31/18 - Shure will give you a $100 rebate after you send in your old system.

Badside

Yeah, interference, mine makes a (for lack of better description) jjjjjjuuuuuppppp-pop noise, then drop. And definately distorts easy. My band uses the same sound engineer every show - he has a dedicated IEM rack and we can control our own mixes via iOS device, and it is saved so our sound checks barely last 1/2 song. I use Westone dual driver ear monitors (no custom molds).

I believe the 600 stuff will be illegal to use in the next couple years, and, depending on the geographical area, could be a problem at any time. If you buy a PSM-300 before 10/31/18 - Shure will give you a $100 rebate after you send in your old system.

Yes that is the exact noise it makes! And again, mine is the L band (500s) so that's not the issue.

And yes I have used dual driver Westones for a long time and they helped a lot. High sensitivity and high impedance gave me a lot more headroom, and better battery life!

They lasted more than 3 years, so either they take more of a beating then Fender IEMs, or my beltpack only turned evil recently.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom