• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Could pickups be too hot? Thoughts?

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
For the past few weeks I have noticed that when recording through a Two Notes Studio I was getting a bunch of what sounds like clipping. This was dynamic and was worse when I hit the strings harder but not extremely hard.

I didn't hear it when playing through my amps. But, as soon as I went through the TN Studio, boom it was there.

Been driving me crazy as I have been doing everything I could to ascertain what was causing it. Tried two different amps, different cables, not pedalboard, etc. Finally, tonight I tried a second guitar. BINGO, the clipping or distortion was gone.

The guitar in question is a Suhr Classic T with SSH Plus bridge and SSV HB neck.
The distortion occurred in both positions.

Anyone know if this is something that is common when using load boxes and IR's?
Now, I am thinking about changing the pups to something less hot. Or could it just be these particular pickups?

Thanks
Jake.

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe input gain is too high on the Two Notes?
Input gain is set at -12db. It still distorts and clips even when set lower.
And, my single coil doesn't distort when the amp is set clean.

Wonder if it could be a defective humbucker?

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
As a final note, I think I figured out what is going on.

Two Notes in their infinite wisdom, mixes the dry and wet signals in their profiles. They send dry to one channel (Left) and the wet signal to the other channel (Right) or reverse, I forget which.

This is what is causing what sounds like clipping or distortion. It is the fizziness of the unprocessed signal.
Changing the mix that is sent to 100% wet allows monitoring without the hash.

The reason they do this is to allow for recording of both wet and dry as separate tracks, which makes complete sense. What makes no sense is to send both signals to the headphone out or at least provide a way to switch this behavior.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. I read of a few people who couldn't understand or solve the issue and got rid of their Two Notes products. The company support tried to help, but they were not very detailed or cognizant of the issue. They offered general information and nothing very specific. With all the cases I read where people had the same issue, one would think their response could be more pointed.

In any event, the issue is easily rectified once identified.
Jake

Trending Topics

Top Bottom