Could somebody with a tele do a quick measurement for me?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by uvacom, Feb 16, 2008.

1. uvacom

uvacom Member

Hey, I'm trying to verify the pickup placement on a guitar I have. Could somebody with a Tele (vintage style bridge pref.) do a quick measurement from the edge of the saddle to the center of the bridge pole polepiece on the high & low side for me? Anything to about 1/16" is close enough.

2. Bantha

Bantha Member

I have a '74 at home...I'll do it for you when I get there. Since saddles are movable you might not get an accurate measurement however. Do you have another suggestion for a more accurate measurement.

3. uvacom

uvacom Member

Good point - let's do it to the 21st fret. :)

4. uvacom

uvacom Member

Do what now?

I'm not trying to route a new neck pickup, I'm trying to figure out if a guitar I have has it's bridge pickup placed in the same place and at the same angle as a tele relative to its scale length.

Since the scale length is definitely 25.5", measuring from the 21st fret should be the best way to measure, methinks. The ferrules might be in a different spot, and the saddles might be in a different spot, but the frets won't be.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if this is about vintage-style bridges on american standard teles, the answer is "no, they won't fit".

6. uvacom

uvacom Member

No, it really is about where the bridge pickup specifically is positioned. I'm not trying to change out any parts, modify anything, etc.

I'm just very curious as to where specifically along the strings' length the bridge pickup is placed. This is not information I have been able to find anywhere, so I thought I'd ask somebody who owns one. :)

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's some juicy science there.

i get about 1 3/8" from the center of the hi E polepiece to to the 25 1/2" scale length point on my AV 62 reissue tele, and about 1 15/16" from the low E polepiece to that same 25 1/2" scale length point.

8. uvacom

uvacom Member

Good article, I've read it before. I come from a background dealing primarily with synthesizers, and it wasn't until I started reading articles like that (and others) that I started to understand what a complex system an electric guitar is. That's why I'm wondering about my guitar's pickup placement, I'm trying to get an understanding for why it sounds like it does vs. a tele.

9. uvacom

uvacom Member

Thanks walter, this is exactly the info I was looking for. :)