could someone explain a mill m mod?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rouss, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rouss

rouss Member

will it tighten up the bass of an amp

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I think you mean "Bill M" mod? He has a whole series of them for the Blues Junior. If you want to tighten your bass, increase the filtering in your power supply. What amp do you have? If you merely want to remove some bass, use smaller value cathode bypass caps.

3. rouss

rouss Member

yess bill mod thankyou .I was really just qurious because it has been mentioned to me, way back. I actually got rid of a blues junior because it had a loose bass. I just have a ss amp right now for practice. But I love fender amps with the exception of the loose bass they seem to have when over driven . If I ever buy another one , I would just like to know the options thanks. A follow up question coming soon LOL

4. Prattacaster

Prattacaster Member

Like TweedDLX says, increase your first filter cap value. Also using small cathode bypass and coupling caps will do wonders. For a coupling cap .0047 is a good place to start. The blues jr actually has .0022 couplers which is pretty small compared to the typical fender. The cathode bypass caps have a good effect also, usually there is no need to go higher than 4.7uF if you want to tighten bass. 2uF or 4.7uF would be a good starting point for the cathode bypass caps.
    When changing these its good to do one at a time and then have a listen. The tone might be thin at lower volumes but then be perfect at "gig" volumes.

5. rouss

rouss Member

Could these mods be done with a blues deluxe (40 w) or a deluxe reverb reissue(22watts)

6. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

They can be done to any tube amp.

7. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

You can ask him- he's a regular contributor.

It also has to do with certain aspects of the different versions that aren't conducive to low background noise, wire dressing/layout and other faults that are present from the factory.

8. Prattacaster

Prattacaster Member

The blues deluxe is almost identical to the blues jr. The difference is the Jr has el84's and the Deluxe has 6L6's. The preamp is identical.