Could someone help me out with the chords to this?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cantstoplt021, Feb 20, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I posted an ad about starting a new band on craigslist and a REALLY good vocalist got back to me. She's really into blues, soul, jazz, R&B stuff (which I really dig). She wants to get together to see if things work out and then go from there. I'm really hoping it works out as our musical interests seem to be pretty similar.

Anyway she sent me this song and asked me to learn it. I normally work everything out by ear, but I'm not at the level where I can hear jazz chords yet. Something I'm going to start working on soon. If someone could tell me the chords to this song it would be really appreciated. Bonus points if you could summarize your process a little bit for hearing these jazz songs.

2. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

I'm unable to see you video at work. What is the name of the song?

3. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

DejaVu by Dionne Farris and Charlie Hunter

Thanks!

4. JonR

JonR Member

I don't hear too many "jazz chords" in there - not full ones anyway - but it's tricky because few of the chords are complete, and most of them are short and cryptic.
    It seems to start in E (Emaj7 and some kind of A), but goes to G and C later... and I think F# and B later still.
    I don't feel I want to go into any detail with this track (doesn't appeal to me enough), but my "process" for this (as with any song) is to record it into Transcribe, and then slow down or loop tricky sections (which is most of this one).
    I really recommend using a slowdowner (I'd go for Transcribe but there are lots out there). Do it yourself, and you won't need to ask anyone - or rely on tab - for any song ever again.
    http://www.seventhstring.com/

5. dingusmingus

dingusmingus Member

Yeah, that's a tough one. I'd work on getting down the roots and general vibe, but not spend forever getting a perfect transcription. Like JonR, I hear it going from some form of E to some form of A, I believe some kind of A7.

6. RLD

RLD Member

That's some fairly advanced technique he's using with some dissonant voicings.
    You're probably not going to be able to replicate what he's doing easily.
    This was a pop hit years ago from Dionne Warwick if I remember right.
    Might be useful to locate the chord changes somewhere and get the backbone of the tune...then you can pick it apart and approach what Hunter is doing.

7. stevel

stevel Member

Question: Where are you going to gig?

You want to start a band and she sent you one song?

Serious red flag dude.

Maybe, she is really good, and she knows that this is a difficult tune and she might be using it as a barometer to gauge whether players are worthy of playing with her. Red flag.

Or this is just a pet song of hers that she wants to do, with no clue of how "unique" it is - singers often have no clue how complex the musical parts of a song might be. They're also not always clear if they want it "like the record", this version, or if they just want to sing this song because they like it and really don't care if it's an arrangement or not. Red Flag.

She'll also walk in and say "oh, I need to do it in X key"... or worse, she'll say "wait, that's not the right key, can you try a different one"...

Let's turn the situation around:

If I saw a vocalist who was looking for a guitarist, and I replied and we chatted and it sounded like we had a lot of similar tastes, unless we specifically talked about this arrangement of this song we both liked, it's NOT the song I'd send them to learn.

Typically, it works like this: "send me a list of the songs you know (or would like to do, etc.), and I'll send you a list of the songs I know". Compare notes, and get together to play through the songs we both know to see if there is in fact a common interest and a desire to move ahead.

I mean, realistically, what are you goals here?

What are her goals?

Are you going to do a duo? Or are you going to do a band? Where are you going to gig? Have you investigated local venues to see what kind of music is played and if there are any other successful acts in town - and what they do they do? Are you going to do it for "fun", or do you intend on being a semi-professional local/regional act?

8. JonR

JonR Member

Found one set of chords online for the DW version which were impossible to follow and largely wrong, so here you go (it's the same key as the version you want):

INTRO
    |F#m9 - - - |F#m9 - - - |F#m9 - - - |F#m9 - - - |
    |F#m9 - - - |F#m9 - - - |F#m9 - - - |F#m9 - |F#m7/B - - - |

VERSE
    |Emaj7 - - - |Em7/A - - - |G#m7 - - - |C#7sus - C#7b9) - |
    |Dmaj7 - - - |Dm7/G - - - |Cmaj7 - - - |C#m7 - F#7sus - |
    |Emaj7 - - - |Em7/A - - - |G#m7 - - - |C#7sus - C#7b9) - |
    |Dmaj7 - - - |Dm7/G - - - |Cmaj7 - - - |F#m7/B G#m7/C# - - |

CHORUS
    |F#m9 - - - |C#m9 - - - |F#m9 - - - |C#m9 - - - |
    |G#m7 - - - |F#m7 - - - |C#m9 - - Gm7/C|F#m7/B - - - |

Those "m7/" slash chords are also 9sus chords.
    Eg Em7/A is the same thing as A9sus4, and could be played as G/A or A7sus if that's easier.

I suggest you don't struggle to learn Charlie Hunter's specific take on it (which is inspired by the feel on the DW version), but work with the above chords, get into the groove, and make your own version.
    If this singer as adamant she wants the DF/CH version note for note - and you can't convince her with your version - say thanks but no thanks; however good she is, it's not worth the hassle IMO. (And no really good singer, will want to mimic some other singer's performance, so why should you mimic the guitarist?)

9. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Well good news. I sent her a message yesterday saying that I would work on it, but it's pretty hard since it's charlie hunter who plays an 8 string guitar and all that, but I would try my best. She emailed me back saying that she forgot about that and to not worry about that song so we are going to do Bold as Love, Dirty Man by someone who I forget right now, Use me by Bill Withers and I'd rather go blind by Etta James. A mix between my suggestions and hers.

As to my goals with this I'm not sure. I've been playing for a couple years and I really want to get into my first band. I play bass in a band already and I know how much it's helped my bass playing (as in I didn't play bass until I joined this band) and I know that playing guitar in a band would help me grow a lot. A big plus is I like this type of music so it would be a lot of fun I'm guessing. Not a big fan of the music I play with my other band and it's getting to be a little bit of a drag, but that's another story. Eventually if things work out I'd like to try and find a bassist and drummer and go from there, but we will see.

And thanks a lot JonR for figuring that out for me. Fortunately/unfortunately I won't need to learn it right now. I don't know how the hell you figure those chords out by ear, but I'm sure over time it'll all make sense