Could the Electro Harmonix Hog make the old Digitech Whammys obsolete?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by le_plastique, Mar 20, 2006.

1. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

2. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Wow, that is terrifying. I want!!!!!

3. threm

threm Member

4. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Wow... well, I guess I better start saving my clams. You know, I thought this thread would get more attention? I guess if it had a clean boost function...

5. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I have had use of mine for about a 2 weeks, and just got the foot controller for presets(6) today. So many great sounds the preset controller was a must.
    Long story short, I got rid of my POG and my WH-1 and II.
    The HOG easily replaced all of their sounds plus alot more. Sound quality is extremely good, very responsive and great tracking. No lose of signal.
    Also, the options seem endless, worth the money so far!

6. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

I could see the HOG being a setup hassle at a gig though. It doesn't look as easily mountable on a pedalboard as the WH-1, and the foot controller would need to go somewhere too. And does the HOG come with an expression pedal as well for dive bombs? Where would that go?
    I don't know if Im going to let my WH-1 go just yet, as the HOG seems more like a studio toy than a gig friendly pedal. I'll try it out, but right now I have my doubts. :cool:

7. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I think I read they are making an expression pedal for that that will also include a way to have presets. I know they already have another pedal for it similar to the 16 Second Delay extra pedal doo-dad.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

the 16 sec delay controller will work for the hog and 2880 too.
    it has 6 buttons, for HOG presets or 2880 control buttons.

9. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

Hmmm...while a pedal-based harmonizer is really, really cool I still think the Whammy has an edge with the octave sweeps and so forth. If the HOG had an expression pedal for sweeping between octaves and/or harmonies it would definitely take the cake!

10. tlester

tlester Member

If I read the description correctly, it does.

-Tom

11. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

It can, it just doesn't have as many options interval wise.

12. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

here's a review I wrote on my experiences for another site.

So, ok here are my thoughts on the HOG. First, you pretty much have to buy the preset controller given the variables involved. Second, attaching a foot controller to it is critical as it opens up some the heavy duty options. Third, yes the price is a bit hard to swallow, but there are so many viable ways to use this you'd need 5 pedals or so get in the ballpark.

My impression of the features: The input gain is really sensitive and can clip easily. However, the clipping isn't an awful thing like you might think of A/D clipping. It puts a bit/crunch on the signal so it's totally useable. Then there’s the dry output which is just your signal unprocessed. Unity gain when bypassed. There is also an “original” slider which puts your input signal through the envelope, filter, and every other function. I like this as you can add some bottom or top end to your signal. I’ve been really looking for something like that because I have an enormous amount of high end loss from the echoplex/tel-ray and reverb tank. My orange is pretty dark so I can’t recover it all the way or have the option even if I want. +1 for me and saves the need to buy a treble booster which I had been looking at.

As for the octaves, I believe that’s straightforward. The pitches are pretty much perfect as described. As for the volumes, I get the impression that each of the octaves is not exactly matched volume wise. For example, if I use the “original” slider and max it out and then introduce the +3 octave, for example, maxed out, the octave overpowers the original signal. I can’t tell if it’s due to the pitch/frequency difference or what, but it just allows you to go far with this and emphasizes how you can fine tune this. There are literally thousands of textures you can pull out of these 10 sliders. Overall, and my clip doesn’t really do it justice do to amp volume, it’s not thin and weak sounding. I think EHX did a nice job with the AD-DA conversion. That’s really clear when you adjust the sliders for the filter. They soupy and full… not quite as thick as my alienator but pretty damn good. There is also a push button called 'spectral gate' which emphasizes whichever slider is the highest volume-wise and pulls down the others… good for quick tone changes.

Next up is the envelope, this can be turned on and off by a switch. I LOVE this feature. One slider controls the lower five octave sliders and the other controls the upper five sliders. The sliders themselves have a zero point in the center… above the zero point controls the decay. The further away from the center, the faster the signal is cut out. All the way makes your sound go plinky plink. Below is the Attack. The further away slows the attack down. This is awesome and much of what I imagine a Slow Gear does. By far and away one of my favorite features. For example, you could leave the upper octaves alone and increase the attack on the lower ones so the whole bottom end comes in on a delay from the initial sounds. Likewise you can max out the attack for both and have some sweeping type sounds. I could see this being very practical when used with the freeze-gliss foot control function as you can achieve a synth portamento with it.

Next is the filter… it is very nice sounding although it can’t be bypassed via foot control. This is the only thing I’m not a hug fan of because the filter can really influence the volume of your signal so I’d like it instantly out if I wanted to. This is where I could see the preset controller being handy. It interacts really well with the octaves though, but the vomues changes can be drastic.

Next is the expression mode. This is the power of this pedal and makes it extremely interactive. My clip doesn’t do it justice primarily because this becomes an instrument in and of itself and I need some time with it. There are two bends, one is a full octave and the other is a step. This works with whatever octave sliders you have set up. The 'volume' mode is nice because you can be playing your guit/whatever though the dry out and slowly introduce your affected signal. I really like this because you can keep it from dominating if you want. Good for me as I do a lot of straightforward stuff where a touch of this pedal in conjunction with my normal signal could be really cool. Another is the freeze-gliss function. This is my favorite of all of them. With the expression pedal down you play along how you’ve set the pedal up, but when increase it to full it’ll hold the sound you were making when you did that. All of the sliders can still be adjusted so in some ways it’s a soundscape in a box type thing. The best part though is when the foot controller is in the middle (faster towards one end, slower towards the opposite). You get the portamento going which I love because it’ll slide in and out chords/notes. Very very very cool. It’s really touchy though so it’ll take a while to get a hang of because it’s hard to change chords/notes very smoothly... I can tell a little practice will help there. The next is a freeze-vol which does the freeze like the gliss one but instead of portamento this allows you to mix the frozen thing in with what you’re playing either through the pedal or the direct out or both. Textures galore here. Finally there is the wah and filter, which are sweep options. Very nice.

You can also switch the expression pedal direction and you can tap on the exp. button switch when the CV is disengaged to somewhat instantly engage whatever mode you have set. A midi in allows you to do this with a pitch roller or your synth or midi controller. I haven’t done that yet, but I imagine it’ll be cool, especially if you run your synth out into the HOG. Pitch bending in the synth + at the same time activating the expression mode could yield some fun stuff.

The last thing worth noting is that bypass, exp. button, and envelope button are all the nice heavy duty switches, but they are NOT the click in and out type. They are smooth operating which I think shows a lot about the thought put into this pedal. This really allows for some fun stutter things. The only other thing I'm a little bummed about it the lack of separate input/output volumes for the pedal. They are combined under the 'input gain slider'. Obviously it's not the end of the world, but some times the volume dynamics can be a bit much. The other bummer is that if your using a preset and you bypass the pedal and then click it on again, it'll revert to the settings on the pedal, not the preset. EHX was aware of it because they mentioned it in the manual, so I guess not much could be done for it.

All in all, I find it very practical to very out there which is perfect for me because I wanted a lot of options. I really liked the POG but it felt one dimensional to me. This, on the other hand, does not. That was the one thing that was going to determine if I got it or not. It also sounds excellent when goosed with a fuzz/OD or before a fuzz/od. I got a little noise, but is was more my fuzz factory. I’ve got power supply issues I think. It also plays nicely with all of my pedals and sounds good with humbuckers (my preference) and single coils.

I really think it puts out some very unique sounds for guitar, and I’m ok with people having a little bit of sticker shock. I like the idea that not a lot of people would pick one of these up. Call me selfish, but it can help achieve more of a personal sound I guess. I am happy with my purchase.

13. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

14. threm

threm Member

:D

CitiesLA, thanks a lot for the exstensive report!

15. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

May we have the link to the sound clips please? Thanks. :)

16. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

I would love to, but I ran it through yousendit.com and it expired. I can't find the orignal wav file. I'll work up another some time this weekend. I'm getting the preset controller today too, so now I'll actually be able to recall things I like

17. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

Ah ha! I stand corrected. I read the manual on EH's site and I must say, the features sound impressive! Whammy killer? Definitely possible.