Could you ballpark these guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soundhound, May 20, 2008.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Ballpark prices, that is. This is for a friend who's other half passed recently. He had a collection of guitars—she's not an expert, and wanted to know how much she might get for each of these:

http://web.mac.com/dojafi/Site/Guits-various.html

She doesn't know more than the info that I listed for each of the pics. I know it's not much to go on, but thought I'd see if anyone could take some educated guesses.

Thanks for taking the time, fellas. Much appreciated!

2. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

That Fender lap steel is one of their more desireable models. My ballpark estimate is $900 to $1400 or so.

3. dunara

dunara Member

It's hard to make any truly educated guess from these pics alone, but my feeling is that the strats might fetch $6-800 each, and the Martin around $2K. I agree with the previous poster on the lap steel - the market for these has picked up noticeably in the last year or so.

4. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

thanks guys! anyone else?

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Depending on when the guy got the champ steel you might want to check it for original parts. A lot of these have been cannibalized for parts over the years. BTW, I have one just like this one with all original parts, and it is a very good steel.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I think billy guitar has got it right-the pickup alone is worth 500-600$...

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

8. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

If I got her to take some better pics of the guits, does anyone think they could estimate any closer?

9. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

The Strats appear to have non-original parts and are from the mid-1990's. When I see swapped pickguards and pickup covers, it makes me wonder what else is changed. That said, I would be more conservative on the value of these - maybe $500-600 each.

The Martin HJ-28 has a value of $1725 to $1825, according to the 2008 Vintage Guitar Price Guide.

The Fender Champ lap steel's value is $675 to $825, based on the same guide. This model was made between 1949 and 1955.

Keep in mind that these prices are suggested retail prices, which vary based on geographic region, the economy, and other factors. If your friend is insuring them, these values should be fine. If she is selling them, actual sale prices could be higher or lower based on the above factors.