Could you follow Jeff Healey? Stevies asking that very thing here

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Clifford-D, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Both wonderful players to be well respected and remembered.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JANUN1Ssk&feature=related

As great a player as Stevie was he came across other smoking players in his journey and this meeting with Jeff is the only recording of these two
    playing together that I've seen.
    I swear when Jeff jumps out of his seat Stevies going "what the" and reacted
    almost startled. lol.

Jeff is burning and scary good. Stevie needed to take a step back.
    It's all good.
    I wish they played more together.

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Jeff often scared the crap out of folks when he hopped off his chair - was unexpected (and a bit contrived, to be honest).

Jeff was very confident in that in-your-face, aggressive blues-rock style (as was Gary Moore) - though certainly unique and identifiable. He was a nice man who worked hard, and is missed.

SVR was a more rounded player, I'd say, and a stronger (co-)writer/singer.

3. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I think Stevie is still not "over" being blown away by the amazing display right in front of him to have to come out of the gates and "equal" what he just saw.
    That's as hard as it gets, but Stevie being an incredibly humble man gives it to him with all respect and love and cool dudemanship...

4. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

more well rounded? Jeff had a whole jazz side to his bag and more.

They where both well rounded, neither as well rounded as Tommy Tedesco back in his day, that guy could play like anybody but that's neither here nor there.

What these guys had were stellar singing voices on their guitars. Like Linda Ronstadt
    or Etta James, two great singers that I would rather not compare.

5. 5cent

5cent Member

Yeah - I know way more people who knew Jeff from the traditional jazz world than from the blues rock world. Though he "made it" in rock n' roll, he was a jazzer at heart.

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well, I preferred his jazz trumpet playing to his jazz guitar playing (not that I've heard everything). I found him most compelling at his more over-the-top moments. YMMV...

Jeff mos def was a jazz historian w/ a extensive collection of 78s which he showcased on myriad CBC radio broadcasts.