Could you not care less about sports?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Clonehead, Feb 3, 2018.

1. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

2. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

For most people, the super bowl has nothing to do with football.

fretless likes this.
  3. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

I love sports. I wish we still had them.

yakyak likes this.
  4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Professional Sports is a cesspool.

I love baseball and follow MLB. I played til I was 43 (high school, college, adult baseball). I still want to play at 62.

I remember missing weeks of guitar lessons with my beloved friend and teacher, Lou Pallo (Les Paul Trio) when I broke my finger playing Little League baseball. :(

Other than that, no real interest (NBA= boring, no defense garbage these days). NnCAA bball = corrupt NBA feeder corporation. Love basketball but not as currently played or presented.

Love motor sports (F1, sports cars, not NASCAR fakery and hype).

NFL = beyond moronic aholishness destroying players. I knew Roger Goodell when I was in college. What a numbnuts, never had a real job, ace jock sniffer.

Super Bowl? Feck that shite**.

**added clarification: I will watch parts of the SB, however much I watch is about 60% of my total annual football viewing (my father coached @ St. Cecilia's HS in NJ with Vince Lombardi, so I still have some in my blood :cool: )

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    yakyak and fretless like this.
  5. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I’m always slightly intrigued by this mindset.

Does your lack of a passion for watching sports also translate to a lack of interest in competing in sports?

Do you have any interest in competing in games (card games, board games, and other games)?

Do you just have a lack of interest in competing in sport and games in general?

If so, does this lack of desire for competition extend to areas outside of sport and game?

I hope this doesn’t come off as an inquisition. It is an honest curiosity.

bluwoodsman likes this.
  6. scott944

scott944 Member

I follow/watch the major golf tournaments and road racing. Everything else could dry up and blow away and I wouldn't notice.

7. Timcito

Timcito Member

No interest here, but I'd be fine if those that liked it went ahead and liked it, and those of us that don't could ignore it. But we can't. This is a national imperative that we must, against our wills, have the event thrust before our eyeballs and down our earholes for its duration, with all the daft stuff that follows in tow, like that weird commercials thing. Very odd when you consider that half the population, i.e. women, are not even involved in the sport except for a few that display their adoration of beefcake, chest-beating culture by prancing around in their underwear at the beginning of each game.

8. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I enjoyed playing sports in school but for some reason never became very interested in watching them on TV. I enjoy a good game but I'm a very casual fan and I'm not personally invested in any of the home teams but I'd rather they win than not. I'll have the game on tomorrow but I could easily be enticed into doing something else if it involves more/better beer and food than I'm having...

9. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

Interesting if you really think about many sports, not all.
    Yes we differentiate, however if you look at it one way it's very hypocritical to everyday values we are taught to live by in life.

If you were that competitive and aggressive in everyday life you would be labeled as;

Narcissist
    Racist
    Prejudice
    Exploitative
    Favoritism
    Biased
    Opinionated

:bonk :roll

10. scott58

scott58 Member

Not a sports fan either. Used to watch Heavy Weight until the Tyson\Holyfield thing. Haven't watched one since.

11. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Not a sports fan at all.

12. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

pay to watch millionaires chase a ball?

13. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

Always got picked last, eh?

14. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

A good way to show how little you care about sports is to start a thread about sports and how little you care for them.

15. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

When I see "superfans" of sports I always wonder how you can center your life on earth around a sport. I sat next to a guy at a Giants game. He sat stoic throughout the game, no emotion. After a while I ask him if he attended many games. He told me that he has never missed a home game since 1971. I ask him if he came when he was sick or injured which he replied, "every game".

Now I realize that my fandom of Rock & Roll is as compatible as the local Ohio State fan with flags outside their houses. Although I do not fly a Ramones flag or sticker my car up and dress my children in leather.... Maybe they win in the extreme.

Sports are fun but their are not important. Four Billion will be wagered on the SB this year.

16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Enjoyed playing basketball as a youngin'...but to watch millionaires playing sports is boring to me. However, Julius Erving was amazing in his day...he seemed to have the uncanny ability to defy gravity :eek:.

jimmyj likes this.
  17. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I don't follow/watch any sports.

marktweedy and A-Bone like this.
  18. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit®

Neither do I. I used to follow baseball, and football religiously, but that was some years ago now. If I was going to get interested again in any sport again, it would be baseball.

I will watch the Superbowl. I think of it being as much a cultural event as a sporting one.

19. Stike

Stike Member

I never had the sports gene, fan or participant. I was always tall so as a kid when meeting adults I always got “Well you must play basketball/football?” They always seems confused or disappointed when I’d say no.

Even living almost equidistant between UNC and Duke it’s pretty easy to avoid sports so I don’t feel the need to be a bigot about them. I really dislike the intense super fans that post up for unsolicited, violent high fives but interactions with them are a rarity in my life.

20. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

I couldn't care less about sports, so I'll bite.

I don't care about competing in sports, I only play games at dinner parties with friends. I am very competitive, but it revolves around work, and the pursuits I care about which are playing, writing, performing and recording music. I am also very into building and repairing guitars, and building, repairing and designing amplifiers, microphones and studio equipment. I play guitar, bass, drums, pedal steel, piano, organ and sing at a level good enough to record and gig on each.

I've thought about my dislike of sports somewhat often recently, and made some observations. My younger brother is obsessed with sports - he is one of those who memorizes stats on all the players and probably keeps a bank in his head of 500+ athletes. He has always been like this.

Another important thing to add: I grew up in Alabama(Decatur, suburb of Huntsville). The alabama/auburn feuding is very real, and makes me irate. For example, my mother in law, who I think finished high school(no judgement), and is from florida, is an Auburn fan. I think I know more about the rules/strategy of football than her, but she gets fighting mad about football. Her son, my BiL also did not attend college, but is a virulent Alabama fan. My mother, who was a nurse, but did not attend the University of Alabama, is also an Alabama fan. At Thanksgiving, there was a FULL ON YELLING MATCH because my mother in law was getting my 4YO daughter to say war eagle, and my mother was getting her to say roll tide. I finally had to say above anyone "HAS ANYONE EVER CONSIDERED HOW IDIOTIC IT IS TO BE THIS CAUGHT UP IN A STUPID FOOTBALL TEAM OF A SCHOOL YOU DIDN'T ATTEND!?"

I also have had to deal with my share of kids/men who think any guy that isn't into big hulking dudes pounding each other is a "sissy" or "gay". Being 6ft and having been fully grown since I was 12, I've enjoyed basically most of my life confronting these kind of people, often with versions of the above phrase for them to consider.

I spend my time in constant movement and focus, and in addition to sports, am very annoyed by mindless TV/entertainment in general. My time is spent at work, and then when I'm done with that a typical evening would consist of maybe studying schematics of an amp I'm working on, rebuilding that circuit, doing some kind of guitar repair, maybe taking a break to work on lyrics or run through some guitar ideas, if that is fruitful I may head into the studio, if not I may start on another electronics project until midnight or so, rinse and repeat. I absolutely hate with a passion reality TV, sitcoms, etc. I do love the medium of TV, but I only watch "pretentious" stuff, haha. I'm that guy! Sopranos, the wire, mad men, breaking bad, maybe not pretentious, but for me to care, I need: excellent acting, script, a deeper meaning.

Not that it is my business, but it has always been irritating to me to hear of other people just sitting around watching "dumb" TV all day. It's a combination of sadness for them, and a wonder of how they can stand it. Part of this comes from my brother, who has basically always spent all of his time sitting around watching sports.

Lately, my thinking on the above has evolved. For one, I'm beginning to realize that actually I'm the one with the issue and it isn't normal to frenetically move from complicated project to complicated project with an infinite, never-ending list of projects to complete. However, I'm fully happy, so this is fine for me. Others aren't capable of playing instruments at my level, or maybe not creatively inclined, so there is no there there for them. Football and other sports/reality tv give them something to think about, pay attention to, and keep up with exactly like I do with let's say microphone polar patterns and circuit differences. Also, at the end of the day it's not like I'm making some creative masterpiece that will change the world. At best, my friends will listen to this stuff a few times and it will get on local radio. How big of a difference is it really if I spend my time creating things vs watching a game? At the end of the day, fulfilment is in the eye of the beholder.

So, in summary: Don't care for sports or much about games, am competitive, probably have deep seated issue regarding the whole alabama/auburn thing, but have lately decided to give it a rest, or as I would say to my jock friends, "A chacun son gout" :) Also, this whole diatribe presents me in my worst light. This is mostly an internal thought process, and I'm actually mostly able to function normally socially, at least some of the time!

jimmyj, QRSS, Stike and 1 other person like this.