1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Could you survive on a one channel Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike Schram, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

I’m looking at switching from a Mesa 2 channel amp to a Marshall 1 channel. Do you think I’ll be happy running pedals and reducing my volume for cleans? I love the dirt of the Marshall, but the single channel thing is on my brain.

Does anyone here run a single channel JCM style amp and play music that requires cleans? Also…. Do you think a few pedals with no loop will suck all the tone?

Thanks

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think you'll find many, many players using single-channel amps with pedals. I do, and I love it. I get nice spanky cleans by rolling back my volume (or switching to my Tele), and I get bone-crunching (yet defined) overdrive by maxing my volume and attack. It requires some readjustment in you playing, but I think the rewards are worth it – with the right touch-sensitive amp, that is.

3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I've heard plenty of amps with cascaded gain stages that "suck all of the tone". What's so pure about channel switchers? They just happen to have the overdrive effects built in. There is no escape from compromise in my opinion. Either approach has its issues.

4. Roe

Roe Member

get a plexi!

5. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I get by pretty good with a one channel plexi and a couple Addrock FX pedals.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

JCM800. It is THE rock amp and probably the last great amp Marshall ever built.It has a pre-gain control that loads the pre-amp for crunch and you blend it with the master.The low input is amaxing for clean tones.The volume level is much lower,but if you use a clean boost pedal,it is perfect.Learn to use the volume control on your guitar to get clean and crunch.The JCM800 2204 50 watt amp is the best amp for both sounds.
    Check my website for a 'backpacker' version.

7. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

I agree, the jcm800 is perfect. The low input actually bypasses the first gain stage, making it a true clean channel. Get an A/B box.

8. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

Sweet! I never thought of the Hi/Low inputs on an A/B box.

Thanks!

9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The A/B thing only works on 4-input Marshalls.

10. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

Ooops, the high input signal is interrupted when you plug into the low input.

Sorry about that!

11. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

in the 22 yrs of playing proffesional and semi proffesional i have NOT found a 2 or multi channel amp that sounds as good as a single channel amp,always there is one channel that sounds real good and the other dosnt....the other is always a clean channel and i find backing off the volume knob to be more better and 3d than a channel switching clean channel.....JMO.

12. michael patrick

I found it out the hard way that it doesn't work on 2-input Marshalls... :AOK

But I use an A/B box on my 4-input Marshalls and it works. I run the "A" into the upper left-hand input and the "B" into the lower right-hand input. I also jump the channels using a short cord.

13. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

Damn! Back to the drawing board.

14. michael patrick

To answer the original question...

Yes, I can and do survive with one-channel amps. The music my band does requires me to get everything from clean country-flavored leads to jangly pop to full on psycho-fuzzbomb tones. With my guitar and amp and a few pedals I'm able to do it all.

If you want that Marshall sound, there's only one way to get it...:BEER

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yup - I'd be just fine w/ the right JMP.

16. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've been using even two channel amps like they're one channel because I don't like stepping on channel switching pedals. I love getting clean tones by turning down the volume pot on the guitar and/or picking softer. Gives a much wider dynamic range than the on/off type channel switching. No abrupt changes either.

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

One channel amps work fine. Lots of people have used them well on stage or off:AOK

The volume control on the guitar was meant to be used.

Best, Pete.

18. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Yes, no problem and I do use either a 1982 JCM 800 or one of my JMP MV amps when gigging. I also use a VHT Pittbull 45 combo but use that at rehearsals because I dont want to haul no more than I have to.

19. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I use to use a two channel boogie. went back to the marshall's. I currently run a one channel clubman w/pedals in front and love. It's more dynamic and touch sensitive than the multi channel amps have ever been. I honestly do not miss the channel switching.

20. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, I've found that if an amp doesn't have a good "clean" sound from the get-go, you just can't fix it with a pedal. And, these days, many OD/distortion pedals sound better to me than most amp overdrives. So I base my gigging rig on the best clean sound I can find and do the rest with a pedal or two of different OD flavors....and I feel less locked in per se.