Couldn't resist the BadCat Cougar 50...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PeteyNaf, Feb 17, 2015.

1. PeteyNaf

PeteyNaf Member

I just ordered a Bad Cat cougar 50H on a whim. Today on MF they're going for $430. At that price I figured I can't lose. What am I getting myself into? I know they're made overseas and they're not true badcats, but that sort of thing doesnt bother me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. demea26

demea26 Member

I had one for a few months last year. No complaints at all from me.
    Nice cleans, nice OD. Reverb wasn't too bad. FX loop was usable.
    Nicely built, too.

For that price, I'd buy another.

3. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I own the Bad Cat Cougar 5 and it is an excellent amp, and I own three USA made Bad Cat's! The Cougar 5 has a great sound in a light weight package, I put the Unleash on it and it is good up to 100 watts.

4. PeteyNaf

PeteyNaf Member

Excellent! Cant wait for it to arrive.Does the clean channel have any breakup? I like to play with an amp at verge of breakup then boost with pedals.

5. demillso

demillso Member

I think you will like it. It has a ton of gain on the drive channel but it does sound good turned down. I like it on about 1. I have a USA Hot Cat 30, the Cougar 15 and the Cougar 50 head. I have kept them all because they all sound a little different and great. I probably didn't need the Cougar 50 combo as well but for $430 I ordered one of those last week as well. Great sounding amps.
    To answer your question, the clean channel is getting pretty loud at the point it starts breaking up and the tone control is pretty limited on that channel.

6. PeteyNaf

PeteyNaf Member

Hmm maybe I should pick up a footswitch and rely more on the amps built in gain. Thanks for the info.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I just ordered the Cougar 50 combo. Can't wait. I had a Hot Cat 30 that I regretfully sold? Stupid me... Maybe this will be an affordable alternative.....

8. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

I ordered a head this morning, what the hell!

9. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

MF is selling the combo for $430 right now. That's a hell of a good deal. I don't think you will find anything better in that price range. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. There is a ton of gain on tap. I like it a lot, but I'm on the verge of getting rid of some stuff and (hopefully) pulling the trigger on a Cub III R combo.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i am undergoing a "surprise" surgery so i can't buy anything at the moment cause i will not be home for at least a month.

SO, I officially hate OP and all of you.

WOW, i really like this amp!

11. cajunator

cajunator Member

Hi, new guy here. I ordered the combo and it will be delivered on Monday.
    I traded a Les Paul 50's Tribute for a Cougar 15 about a month ago and couldn't be happier. Can't wait to play the 50!

12. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

I am giving the Bad Cat a serious look.

One concern I have is low end.. Not looking for a scooped sound but I gotta have lows and highs. V30 is none for being mid centric. I wouldn't be overly upset if I needed to change the speaker.

13. Rod

I'm gonna change the speaker out when I get my Cougar 50 this week.. I can't stand Vintage 30's... But I'll try it first, just in case.. I was thinking of trying what i have onhand which is a Cremeback 65 if i need it a little dirtier sounding or a WGS ET90 for a cleaner, fuller tone...
    What are you all using for speakers ?

14. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

I'm gonna keep an open mind and give it a go. I'm sure the amp designer didn't put that speaker in there thinking it sounded bad. I'll go with their expert opinion over my irrational fear of mids.

15. Rod

That's a good point...

16. matthew_

matthew_ Member

Have been looking at these as well. Saw a review of the head and the guy thought it sounded a little weak, so he cracked his open and found the output tranny labeled "Kustom Defender 112 40 Watt."

Interested to hear OP's experience with it.

Any other owners find a Kustom tranny in their Bad Cat Cougar? Hear of any other reports of this?

Thanks,
    Matthew

17. demea26

demea26 Member

Yes the amp is imported and designed by Hanser. The tranny is a Kustom 40w transformer.

Play it with an open mind and you'll be fine. It still sounds good...especially for the price

18. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

How do you know that it's a Kustom?

That's almost impossible to believe, especially given that the amp is 50 watts.

I did have the Cougar 5 watt, and it was one of the most remarkable amps I've ever played, but I can't believe that about the tranny in the 50 watt. Did you see it YOURSELF? ;)

19. demea26

demea26 Member

Yes confirmed. There is a sticker on the OT labeled 'Kustom 40w' or something similar. I opened mine up after reading another thread about the Kustom OT in the Cougar 50

No biggie for me really, since playing it at roughly 1/3 volume is plenty loud in a band

20. Rod

REALLY? IT'S IMPORTED..It's made in the same factory that makes the Kustom amps... That's not a bad thing. I can't afford the $2700 handmade version so at $430, this is a great substitute