1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Country fried chickin' pickin' compressor needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RichSZ, Nov 15, 2005.

1. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I am new to country pickin', but recently landed a gig as the 2nd guitar player in a full fledged old school country band.

One thing not in my favor is I don't own a Tele but I do have an EJ strat and an R9. I mainly have played the strat with the bridge + middle pickup position selected but notice some of the notes not being "even". Just for reference, I'm also using a D13 FTR 37 amp.

What exactly is a compressor is supposed to do? Even everything out? Or give you that sharp "click-a-click-a" type sound?

Which leads to the next question, should I just go with the Keeley Compressor or would the MXR SuperComp or DynaComp do the trick?

I'm really looking for that Nashville sound. So far, just based on nothing more than product descriptions, I'm leaning towards the SuperComp but I'd like to hear opinions on other options.

Thanks,

Rich

2. Fernando

Fernando Member

With a compressor, you can set the volume range of your tone. If a note reaches a volume outside of the range you set, the compressor will either increase or decrease it to put it back in the range.

It will even everything out and it will give you that "click-a click-a" type of tone you mentioned, with the right setting.

I have a Barber Tone Press, which is an incredible compressor, and fairly cheap too.

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I play in a country original/cover variety band. I play through a 72' Fender Deluxe Reverb and use pedals. My compressor of choice is the Analogman Bi-Comp. It's a Ross Compressor on one side and an Orange Squeezer on the other side. The Orange really gives you that really tight compressed with a bite country tone. It's just perfect for those Tele chicken pickn' country leads you hear on the radio. I really think this is the pedal your looking for. Try to find a used one . You won't be sorry.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i agree the orange squeezer side is def. chicken pickin, however why pay 200+ for a used bicomp when you can get many diff types of orange squeezer type pedals out there . check out www.generalguitargadgets.com you wont be dissapointed :)

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

for a budget, an excellent compressor (especially for country) is the boss cs-2. Lots of pros use 'em, check ebay for one

6. drolling

drolling Member

The good old Boss CS-2 is particularly good for fake pedal steel licks & chicken pickin. Not to be confused w/the current CS-3, I still see the 2 in pawn shops all the time. Cheap, too..

EDIT; Moe- you took the words right outa my mouth! That's what I get for stepping away from the keyboard without hitting the 'submit' button..

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I agree the Boss CS-2 is a cheap and effective pedal for chicken picking
    having played this style for over a decade using first a MXR DynaComp
    (too much hiss) and then the Boss. I was never toally happy with the
    tone and attack of the Boss so I took the plunge and got the AnalogMan
    MiniBiComp. The Ross side is based upon the DynaComp and is very
    quiet with a squeezeable pure tone great for the pedal steel licks.
    I prefer the Orange Squeezer side for the string snapping licks (think
    Skynyrd "I know a Little")although either side could be used interchangeably. A very musical and versatile pedal.
    I guess it all depends on your budget cuz the BiComp or the Keely will
    cost you. They do offer IMO a much improved sound with true bypass
    although the buffers in Boss pedals are very good.
    Good luck in your tonequest!!!:)

8. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

Emma Transmorgrifier Rules!

9. journo

journo Member

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I don't have any direct experience but from what I've gathered, the CS-3 is a horribly made pedal. It's like Boss lost a bet. Apparently, it's not natural sounding at all and somewhat noisy. the CS-2 is much more transparent.

However, the monte allums mod for the CS-3 is supposed to turn the CS-3 into one of the best compressors out there, bar none
    www.monteallums.com/product_links.html

11. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Ross is THE country comp. Unfortunately, they cost $300 and often have lots of probs. The good thing is that everyone and their brother makes Ross clones. Keeley makes a good one as does analogman. The MXR will get you in that area but I A/B'd a MXR and original Ross a couple days ago as my roomate owns both and honestly I wouldn't substitute a MXR for a Ross unless on a strict budget. One I would look into is the BYOC Ross Clone (buildyourownclone.com). It's built 100% to Ross Specs and is $120 pre-built. I'm going to buy one just to check it out.

12. jordanL

jordanL Member

13. journo

journo Member

Hi Jordan and Moe,

Thanks for the info!

This is very interesting. In the old days )before I was tuned into the fact that pedals differed and new is not neccessarily better) I bought a CS-3 to replace my old CS-2. I got it because I thought the CS-3 was a lot better and because it had the tone control. I haven't been very happy with the CS-3 the past two years and I never use the tone control. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The good thing is that I never got around to selling my CS-2 so that still sits in the closet.

Tomorrow I will bring it out and compare the two. The good one stays on the baord and the other goes into the closet as a spare.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mats N

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I just returned from a trip to Nashville. I spent a lot of time in the honky tonk district watching bands, as well as in a couple different studios watching tracks being cut. In all that I never saw one analogman, keeley, or barber compressor. I was a little surprised. All the compressors I saw were either: Boss CS1, Boss CS2, or MXR Dyna.

In fact, I saw none of the high-dollar things that get discussed around here and on other forums. Not to be a poopy-pants, but it was really refreshing to see guys out there tearing it up with "regular" gear. I'll tell you what: some awesome playing and tone happening there too..... the bar is set very high in Nashville!!

A

15. Chris

Chris Member

I hear there's a few guitar pickers there . . .

:D

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Again, get the monte allums mod for the cs-3. It turns it into a "boutique" compressor up there with the ross (except it's obviously not true bypass). Cheap as all get-out, you can't go wrong

17. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Can't argue with you there. However, after owning/playing both the
    DynaComp(5 years) and Boss (10 years), I was never quite satisfied
    due to hiss or tone until I got a MiniBiComp. I saw Pat Buchanan's board
    at the TrailerTrash Pedalboard website and he mostly old Boss pedals
    (although he did have them set up an extensive true bypass system)
    and he is one of the best in Nashville.
    If you can deal with the hiss of the DynaComp you can get some great
    compressed sounds. And, as always, most of one's tone comes from
    the fingers. It's just that quality pedals generally only help a bit more.