Country guitar lessons online ?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by hermyinaz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Member

Hey folks say I was wondering if any of ya know the best lessons for country pickin guitar online ? I am just wanting to learn some tricks and tips to these country guitar players....Like double stops, triplets, the fast flat picking runs they do ....I mean how do they never seem to run out of notes ? I'm just not sure where to start....I can do some of this stuff but not know where I need to be and I don't mind even paying for some online stuff monthly like www.guitartricks.com ....Just wondering if there is something better online to get a good grasp of all this stuff including some of these crazy chords (Like jazz chord) they incorporate in there playing...ok thanks alot hopefully this makes sense..I prefer to see like in some sort of tablature if possible all the stuff the chickin pickin players incorporate if possible........thanks, Bryan.

2. doublee

doublee Member

Doug Seven
    Steve Trovato
    Forrest----whats his last name??? Lee Jr?

3. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

There are lots of great country lesson sites.

http://tallstrom.com/ (go to the "licks and tricks" links at the top of his page) Great player, nice guy, and great resource.

http://countrytabs.com/ (great for getting chords, tabs, etc for top country hits)

http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/melody/73/tab.html (another great site with some classic licks and sound samples)

I would highly recommend investing in Masters of the Telecaster as a good intro to country playing. I'm not a huge fan of the videos for those just starting country guitar, I think they are better for intermediate-advanced players. Good luck!

4. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Member

Awesome thanks alot guys for the help say is there also anything else that really helps with those long fast flatpicking runs ? Like myself I seem to run out of notes ....I notice on alot of these instructional stuff there is alot of country licks, banjo rolls and stuff but not really anything to explain what these guys are doing on these long flatpicking runs......
    For instance that J.D. Simo man that is some crazy pickin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3bnm9FbEtw&feature=related

Ok cool thanks. B....

5. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

They're pulling in bluegrass licks, flatpicking runs. I haven't found a really good free lesson site for bluegrass, but I'm sure there are flatpicking exercises on the web somewhere. You might think about getting a bluegrass method book. My counsel is to slow those down VERY slow and learn them like scales, then speed them up gradually. It's just mechanics and muscle memory, so don't get frustrated as you try those licks.

6. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

For the bluegrass stuff Bryan Sutton, Russ Barenberg and Tony Rice are pretty much the top of the heap. I know Bryan has some DVD lessons on Homespun but not sure about online...check Youtube.

Also, Brad Davis is a great country picker that has some stuff online...

http://www.braddavisontour.com/lessonmain.html

Not necessarily my style but there's a lot to be learned about right-hand technique from these guys. I saw Bryan and Russ with Tommy E. last year and they are amazing to watch...

-Mark

7. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Who is the owner of this site? Id sure like to know. I may drop an email.

8. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Member

Yeah thanks for the help and hey Noah yeah i know it's been posted before I was just looking for maybe some other info that might of been missed like for instance the link i posted to that J.D. Simo it just doesnt seem like he's doing all these short runs and licks that alot of these websites are showing you..There just doing bits and pieces of licks. But like that Simo it sounds like hes just flat out picking a scale to death with a few of those licks thrown in at the end of the run of each chord progression....and it doesn't seem to give you those long runs on online courses, so maybe it's just me not really knowing how to incorporate everything into my playing obviously ha ha ...I'm in arizona and there is not really a host of country teachers that know how to do this....I have been to a few of them and it's just wasn't what i was looking for so i am kinda resorting to online stuff now....Has anyone ever used one of those slow downers where you can slow all this music down and tab it out yourself maybe that would be a good way of doing things....

9. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

There's a link to another photography site that shows an email. Probably the same guy. The email may be outta service because that site has not been updated in years. I found it 3 or 4 years ago and it's always been the same.

10. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Good deal. Hey I see you're pretty close to me. You gig locally? Name of band? etc... PM me some info. Id love to check the band out.

11. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

This is just about your best bet in my opinion. The books and videos are great for helping you get a handle on the style; it involves some specific techniques (hybrid picking, open strings, etc), so it's nice to have it shown to you. But after that it's hard to beat the practice of figuring out stuff with the slowdowner. That way you're learning the exact things you're most interested in, and when you force yourself to learn it by ear, you absorb the sounds and the style more than if you read it off the page. And of course being a slow-downer, it makes it a lot easier to figure them out. I use the Amazing Slow Downer, and it was well worth the 40 bucks.

Mike

12. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

I use Amazing Slow Downer also, excellent app http://www.ronimusic.com and well worth the money. I know others on the forum use Transcribe and like it also so you might want to demo them both before buying...

I'd say a Slow Down app is definitely one of the essentials for learning recorded music, just as important as strings and tuners. ;)

Mark

13. Chris_F

Chris_F Member

As far as I can tell, he's really just using a mix of major and minor pentatonics throughout. If you know how to combine those two sets of scales in E, A, and B, that's pretty much what he's doing. He's generally favoring the major pentatonics throughout.

The real key is in the steady eighth-note picking in the right hand. Pretty much every four notes is a phrase, and he just keeps stringing those four-note phrases together until he feels like stopping.

I tried to tab out an example for you, but my inability to type out tab in this little word processor completely defeated me. :puh

The only weird sounding thing I noticed is that sometimes when they were on the A chord, he would emphasize a D major sound (D and F#) against the A, which was very cool.

Great guitar player, great pick attack.

Hope this helps, or at least doesn't confuse....

14. gennation

gennation Member

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Well the idea is to learn some short licks over a static chord like E major or E7 then learn some licks over A/A7 and repeat the process for B/B7. Now string all those licks together over the entire I IV V progression and you have a long and impressive run without even realizing that your playing mixolydian, major/min pentatonic and chromatic scales (although that knowledge certainly won't hurt).

Once you have a vocabulary of licks you can mix and match them on the fly (or create endless variations). The key is to listen to as much of the genre as you can so you can hear how more accomplished players "speak the language". Phrasing is everything and you'll need to learn the idiosyncrasies that make up the style. This applies to country, blues, jazz... whatever.

Time/pitch stretching software comes in real handy for learning this stuff note for note which is the fastest way to get your fingers and ears on the same page.

I use reaper because its free to try (uncrippled shareware), and allows me to really zero in on the guitar tracks using various plugins like EQ and center cancelling.

16. JohnM

JohnM Member

17. Wagster

Wagster Member