Country guitarist rig thread......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by therhodeo, Jul 17, 2008.

1. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

What are you using and what type of country are you playing? I'm looking for some insight as to what alot of the modern country guys are using.

2. sandman

sandman Member

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?

3. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

I'll be watching this thread closely as that's where I seem to be heading with my playing as of late. LOL, "Are you sure Hank done it this way?" is one I'm doing right now!

4. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

This is going to be great! I do love me some country.

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Ross Phaser FTW!

6. CoKid

CoKid Member

Playing everything from modern to classic country with some alt-country and southern rock thrown in from time to time. Usually I'm using a Dr Z Maz Jr head with either a 1x12 (g12h30) or 2x10 Z cab. If necessary I use a Z Stang Ray w/2x12 cab. I can mix and match if the situation call for it. For guitars it's an Anderson Hollow T for 80% of the material and a Hollow Standard for the rest. For effects it's a Barber Tone Press, OCD, RC Booster, (maybe a ChoralFlange), Supra-Trem, DM-2 and DD-2.

7. stucker

stucker Member

I play lots of '90s country, new radio and classic country as well as some southern and classic rock. For guitars I use a Don Grosh Tele and Strat and a '64 ES-335.

I use a Fender Twin almost exclusively. I usually pull 2 of the 6L6s for smaller gigs. For effects I have a "script" Dynacomp, RC Booster, Nobles ODR-1, Timmy, Boss CE-2 Chorus, Demeter Tremulator, Electra Analog Delay, Ernie Ball volume pedal and a Boss Dynamic Wah.

8. paulgroove82

paulgroove82 Supporting Member

You know, I end up using more pedals on modeern country gigs than most others, but here are the staples (without the givens)...

Tele or SG > Phoenix Custom Electronics Cream Tangerine (comp) or Dynacomp (if it's super pop) > Burriss Boostiest (clean boost always on for that twangy, hairy tone) > OCD > Original Rat (if necessary) > SupaTrem > AD9 (set long for swells) . DD20 (Memory Man-ish, Slapback or or dotted 8th) > Dr Z Mazerati head > either 1x12 or 4x12 cab

I know that's a lot, but seriously, it's become more like playing pop than anything I could get away with on a comp, overdrive and delay and comfortably cop a record...

9. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

tele
    tele baritone
    64 Princeton non-verb
    TU-2 tuner, CS-2 compressor, DM-2 analog delay, Timmy, Fulldrive, Supa-Trem, Bad Bob clean boost

10. stucker

stucker Member

Many will disagree with me but I like a compressor for any style of music I play; rock, R&B, Jazz, and country. I don't use it to squash my notes, just more as a buffer and to push the input of my amp. I keep it on all the time and use my volume pedal after it if I need to make any major volume changes.

11. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Same thing I use for pop gigs; however, I could easily get by with a comp, a TS-type and a delay.

12. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Ditto.

Those three pedals, a Fender guitar, and a Fender amp can cover a lot of country material.

13. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Right now I'm playing some modern country with a group I'm in at college. I usually use my PRS SCT, though occasionally I use my modded Strat. I've got a couple different ODs I use depending on how much is called for, and then I use reverb and delay occasionally. I have a volume pedal but haven't really used it for that stuff yet though. I've been able to get by without a compressor for a little while now, but I'll probably be picking one up in the next month.

14. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

You MUST try out a Guyatone ST-2 compressor. I sold my Keeley after I got Guyatone... like it better than any compressor I've ever tried

15. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

This should be an interesting thread. It will be cool to compare it to the Alt-Country Club thread. Remember that a lot of new country players, especially the Nashville session guys rely on complex rack systems to attain almost any sound imaginable-this kinda started with guys like Dan Huff.

16. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Yeah I love the Alt C thread but alot of the tones used in the 2 genres have nothing in common.

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Bump for more input.

18. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

I'm playing mostly old-style 60's and 70's country (i.e. Haggard, Cash, Jennings, Owens, etc.) plus some originals that are traditional but have a bit more of a modern vibe.

The heart of my signature country tone is my Tremulator and Jacques Prisioner Delay (set to a slapback setting). These are on 90% of the time.

I've also started using my Analogman Bi-Comprosser (Ross + Orange Squeezer compressors) more often, and use a Mad Professor Little Green Wonder for distorted tones.

Also have my Ibanez BC-9 chorus for the some of the 70's style stuff.

As for guitars, it's either my Koll Telecaster or Heatley Tradition.

Ampwise, I'm mostly using my Stephenson 30 watt combo on a fairly clean setting. I also have a Swart AST that I use from time to time.

My acoustic rig is an older Gibson Starburst -> Boss Tuner -> Stephenson Fix My Duck pedal -> board.

19. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I just got a Teese FK-1 for my compression needs this summer.

20. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

An acoustic guitar. I'm backwards that way.

Also, a Sho-Bud pedal steel. I'm backwards that way, too.